will this bookshelf hold a 5 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks guys, know onto convincing my mom to let me get another tank :)

Lol, I know nothing about construction so I dint know about the stand, but a have used one those critter keepers to carry and water sample in and it cracked on the side and lid kept coming off and it broke, not the greatest thing for water containment, even Though one says it for fish. You cam get s 5g tank with canopy for under $20. Those terrariums are really thin plastic because there for reptiles. So you really couldn't heat it, which is what betta should have. They need constant 77-79 is preferably the best. I'd be more concerned with the tank than the stand. And with that lid you couldn't add any thing with cord to it like a sponge filter, heater, thermometer probe, etc. It's your decision, it's not my tank but I'd suggest against a terranium and suggest a glass fish tank and canopy for under $20. It doesn't have to be one of those big sets just a 5 dollar tank with 10 dollar canopy. But it's your decision, nit mine, your fish, not mine.
thanks guys, know onto convincing my mom to let me get another tank :)

It looks sturdy enough. I've kept a 5g on a cheap bookshelf from Target. You're only looking to support ~50lb. Books aren't light.

take that 5 gallon bucket you have there, fill it with water, and set it up there. See if the bookshelf bends or tweaks or anything.

take that 5 gallon bucket you have there, fill it with water, and set it up there. See if the bookshelf bends or tweaks or anything.

Good idea. I'm pretty sure a 5g bucket really holds 7-8g, so there's be some factor of safety built into that test.

Bucket would also put more stress on shelf because (most) buckets would cover less surface area of the shelf than a tank where the weight would be more evenly spread out. If the shelf can sustain the bucket, it is a good sign. You still might want to consider the effect of occasional bumps etc. to the shelf.

i did that on saturday actualy (with the two gallon so even more wieght) and the shelf did fine, no physical bowing so i think i will get a 5 gallon... now to convincing my mom to let me get another tank :)

Lol, I know nothing about construction so I dint know about the stand, but a have used one those critter keepers to carry and water sample in and it cracked on the side and lid kept coming off and it broke, not the greatest thing for water containment, even Though one says it for fish. You cam get s 5g tank with canopy for under $20. Those terrariums are really thin plastic because there for reptiles. So you really couldn't heat it, which is what betta should have. They need constant 77-79 is preferably the best. I'd be more concerned with the tank than the stand. And with that lid you couldn't add any thing with cord to it like a sponge filter, heater, thermometer probe, etc. It's your decision, it's not my tank but I'd suggest against a terranium and suggest a glass fish tank and canopy for under $20. It doesn't have to be one of those big sets just a 5 dollar tank with 10 dollar canopy. But it's your decision, nit mine, your fish, not mine.

i actualy went to petco yesterday and saw how cheap they were so i didnt buy one, i looked for a basic 5 gallon tank but all i could find was a 2.5gal with a glass canopy... could i divide a 2.5 for 2 bettas?

I wouldnt put 2 bettas in a 2.5. Theyve got to have a plain 5g glass tank somewhere for like under 10 bucks, I know It. Would you consider ordering one? Check walmart mine always has empty plain old glass tanks 5 10 and 20g for about 1.50 per gallon. My Petco never has plain old tanks, only sets.
i actualy went to petco yesterday and saw how cheap they were so i didnt buy one, i looked for a basic 5 gallon tank but all i could find was a 2.5gal with a glass canopy... could i divide a 2.5 for 2 bettas?

I wouldnt put 2 bettas in a 2.5. Theyve got to have a plain 5g glass tank somewhere for like under 10 bucks, I know It. Would you consider ordering one? Check walmart mine always has empty plain old glass tanks 5 10 and 20g for about 1.50 per gallon. My Petco never has plain old tanks, only sets.

my walmart only has sets, except for 10 gallon, is your a super walmart?

No, it's a pretty small walmart. They only carry 5 10 and 20 plain tanks, then they sell the crappiest aquatech sets! And they carry food and that's all. What size sets does your walmart have and what brand? Mine occasionally carries tetra deleuxe 5 gallon tanks and sets, which are pretty good, a lot better than aquatech crap. What kind of filter, hood lights were you planning on adding anyway? A penguin would be my suggestion. I can give you some links to plain 5g online orders if you want, I've found a couple,
my walmart only has sets, except for 10 gallon, is your a super walmart?

i was just looking for a basic 5 gallon tank with a canopy maybe, i have made my own filters before (actualy using a few ATM) and i was gonna tank the one from my already established betta tank and put it in there and make another filter so i will have two running in the 5 gallon, on each side of the divider. light im still not sure of, might just take the light off my 2 gallon.

im trying to save money so i just want the tank

K, so what's going to go on the other side of the tank? Another betta? You could buy one online if you want to, do you want a link?
i was just looking for a basic 5 gallon tank with a canopy maybe, i have made my own filters before (actualy using a few ATM) and i was gonna tank the one from my already established betta tank and put it in there and make another filter so i will have two running in the 5 gallon, on each side of the divider. light im still not sure of, might just take the light off my 2 gallon.

im trying to save money so i just want the tank

im not sure what im going to put, either a female betta or 2 guppys or any suggestions?

links would be GREAT thanks

This is the cheapest one I cold find, and it's not actually 20 dollars add it to your cart and you get like a 8 dollar discount or something. Here's the link
Petsr4u - Aqueon 5 .5 Gallon Tank, Aquariums
You could put a male betta, I woudlnt do a female, they like more room to swim than 5g. You could do African dwarf frogs. Do you plan to use a divider, if so that would limit your choice, that really wouldnt give anything room to swim. [=JOMA;1160482]im not sure what im going to put, either a female betta or 2 guppys or any suggestions?

links would be GREAT thanks[/QUOTE]

i will mist likely put a divider and another betta, a crowntail :)

I'd only put one female or male without a divider and a frog snail invert. 2 betta in a 5g wouldn't be very ideal, that's 2.5 apiece. An if it was clear divider, theyd constantly flare and be trying to kill each other ramming at the wall. I'd get a male because they're not as active where as female like a larger space to swim. However, it's your tank do as you wish I just wouldnt do 2 betta in a 5g, or even divide the tank for that matter.
i will mist likely put a divider and another betta, a crowntail :)

Back
Top Bottom