Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks guys, know onto convincing my mom to let me get another tank

JOMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lol, I know nothing about construction so I dint know about the stand, but a have used one those critter keepers to carry and water sample in and it cracked on the side and lid kept coming off and it broke, not the greatest thing for water containment, even Though one says it for fish. You cam get s 5g tank with canopy for under $20. Those terrariums are really thin plastic because there for reptiles. So you really couldn't heat it, which is what betta should have. They need constant 77-79 is preferably the best. I'd be more concerned with the tank than the stand. And with that lid you couldn't add any thing with cord to it like a sponge filter, heater, thermometer probe, etc. It's your decision, it's not my tank but I'd suggest against a terranium and suggest a glass fish tank and canopy for under $20. It doesn't have to be one of those big sets just a 5 dollar tank with 10 dollar canopy. But it's your decision, nit mine, your fish, not mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOMA View Post
thanks guys, know onto convincing my mom to let me get another tank

Old 09-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

It looks sturdy enough. I've kept a 5g on a cheap bookshelf from Target. You're only looking to support ~50lb. Books aren't light.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

You would think from all the people who think the iPad is heavy they would be. Haha
Old 09-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #25
Sliced Bread

take that 5 gallon bucket you have there, fill it with water, and set it up there. See if the bookshelf bends or tweaks or anything.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilanh View Post
take that 5 gallon bucket you have there, fill it with water, and set it up there. See if the bookshelf bends or tweaks or anything.
Good idea. I'm pretty sure a 5g bucket really holds 7-8g, so there's be some factor of safety built into that test.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Bucket would also put more stress on shelf because (most) buckets would cover less surface area of the shelf than a tank where the weight would be more evenly spread out. If the shelf can sustain the bucket, it is a good sign. You still might want to consider the effect of occasional bumps etc. to the shelf.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i did that on saturday actualy (with the two gallon so even more wieght) and the shelf did fine, no physical bowing so i think i will get a 5 gallon... now to convincing my mom to let me get another tank
Old 09-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA123 View Post
Lol, I know nothing about construction so I dint know about the stand, but a have used one those critter keepers to carry and water sample in and it cracked on the side and lid kept coming off and it broke, not the greatest thing for water containment, even Though one says it for fish. You cam get s 5g tank with canopy for under $20. Those terrariums are really thin plastic because there for reptiles. So you really couldn't heat it, which is what betta should have. They need constant 77-79 is preferably the best. I'd be more concerned with the tank than the stand. And with that lid you couldn't add any thing with cord to it like a sponge filter, heater, thermometer probe, etc. It's your decision, it's not my tank but I'd suggest against a terranium and suggest a glass fish tank and canopy for under $20. It doesn't have to be one of those big sets just a 5 dollar tank with 10 dollar canopy. But it's your decision, nit mine, your fish, not mine.

i actualy went to petco yesterday and saw how cheap they were so i didnt buy one, i looked for a basic 5 gallon tank but all i could find was a 2.5gal with a glass canopy... could i divide a 2.5 for 2 bettas?
Old 09-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

I wouldnt put 2 bettas in a 2.5. Theyve got to have a plain 5g glass tank somewhere for like under 10 bucks, I know It. Would you consider ordering one? Check walmart mine always has empty plain old glass tanks 5 10 and 20g for about 1.50 per gallon. My Petco never has plain old tanks, only sets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOMA View Post
i actualy went to petco yesterday and saw how cheap they were so i didnt buy one, i looked for a basic 5 gallon tank but all i could find was a 2.5gal with a glass canopy... could i divide a 2.5 for 2 bettas?

Tags
5 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com