will this bookshelf hold a 5 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOMA

Aquarium Advice Addict
here is the shelf:
30472-albums1086-picture7543.jpg

it has a 2 gallon tank on it already but i wanted to put a 5 gallon tank where the 2 gallon is (top shelf) so the betta has more room.

i would either get
All Living Things® Critter Totes - Habitats & Accessories - Reptile - PetSmart
its the large one (i figured out it is 5 gallons)
or
http://www.petco.com/product/12264/PETCO-Pet-Keeper-for-Reptiles-Amphibians-and-Insects.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductList_Reptile_3-_-PETCO%20Pet%20Keeper%20for%20Reptiles%2c%20Amphibians%20and%20Insects-12264
im not sure which one of these i would get, the one is the same size as the one from petsmart but the largest one is not as high but is longer and holds an extra gallon

***oh yeah its not real wood its the fake cheap stuff if that makes a difference

thanks
joma!

here is the shelf:
30472-albums1086-picture7543.jpg

it has a 2 gallon tank on it already but i wanted to put a 5 gallon tank where the 2 gallon is (top shelf) so my beta has more room.

i would get either:
ng Things® Critter Totes - Habitats & Accessories - Reptile - PetSmart
its the large one (i figured out it is 5 gallons)
or
http://www.petco.com/product/12264/P...0Insects-12264
im not sure which one of these i would get, the one is the same size as the one from petsmart but the largest one is not as high but is longer and holds an extra gallon

***oh yeah its not real wood its the fake cheap stuff if that makes a difference

thanks
joma!

What I would do is try it with the tank just holding gravel and water. Give it an hour (if you don't hear any crashing first) and check for any bowing. Keep checking through out the day for bowing, maybe give the bookshelf a little shake to check the sturdiness.

You could also find brackets at your hard ware store to fit the inside angle where the sides and the top come together.

We have one of those put together types of stands that you get for cheap at Walmart. Looks like the same stuff yours is made from. I think it was supposed to be an end table or something. Anyways, we have our 29g on it. Jeff used a piece of particle board on the back (to help against sway) and brackets on the inside. There's no movement at all. The tank itself sits on another piece of particle board.

i put a piece of plywood across it that is about 1in to long on each side and i am testing it with a 58qt bucket full of my sisters school papers (lol) and seeing if it will sag, i dought it but i wanna test it before i go out and buy a tank

here are some pics:
30472-albums1086-picture7545.jpg

this is the bucket and the shelf, i thought the aquarium light would be a nice touch, lol, do you think this is as heavy as a 5 gallon?

30472-albums1086-picture7546.jpg

thats how far it sticks over the edge one both sides... about an inch
(the width is perfect)

this will help the structural integridy?

That won't help with structural integrity, but will spread the load. You need something like a 3/4" or thicker plywood ... make sure it is bigger than the entire top of the shelf. Then when you place the tank on it, it will spread the load to the sides of the bookshelf, preventing bowing of the shelf itself.

For such a small tank, I don't think it is absolutely necessary, as long as it is sturdily built ... no wobbling, etc ... The tank is only 40 lb. I would just put 40 or 50 lb weight on the bookshelf & see how it behaves. <I wouldn't use the tank with water .... too much mess if it starts tilting & spilling water all over!>

For bigger tanks, I would reinforce the shelf by gluing & screwing a couple 2x4's on edge below the shelf to stiffen it. You can make the stand even more rigid by fixing those 2x4 beams to the sides with screws or brackets.

I think your bigger risk is water in the particle board. If you get that stand too wet, it will swell the particle boards & weaken it severely, causing a collapse ....

so do you think i shouldnt worry if i put a 5 gallon tank onto this top shelf without anything structural added??

also i was going to put a plastic tablecloth on the top of the shelf just like i did for my dresser.

The shelf looks fine as is to hold the 5 gallon. Just make sure you attach it to the wall some how so it doesn't tilt forward and come crashing down if you bump into it.

im only 15 so im still in my parents house and they wont let me drill holes into my wall

It means that later on , if you move the bookshelf , you can fill the holes in the dry wall with spackle (putty) . Spackle is a product used to make small repairs of holes and cracks in dry wall .

oOo, well the shelf is pretty stable, its wedged between my desk and the wall

i had a 10gal on a shelf less sturdy then that b4 i moved it to my dresser and then a permanent place down stairs its was their for awhile i have pictures somewhere when i find it i shal post it up for u to see

Back
Top Bottom