Will this cabinet hold a 29 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lindsay1718

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone,
I just bought a 29 gallon to use as a quarantine tank for my saltwater aquarium. I'm trying to find a place to sit it and the only place in my living room is on a built in the wall shelf/cabinet. Would it hold a 29 gallon? It won't have sand or rock just some fake coral decor, for hiding spaces. Is there a way to find out? Obviously I can't stand on it to figure it out. Any help would be great.

image-1792356703.jpg

image-204518134.jpg

image-1510167606.jpg

image-534201169.jpg

image-2363999069.jpg

Looks like it could be alright but if you're worried why not add some support underneath just in case?

About 8 lbs/gallon. Does it have braces...is it real wood or particle wood? Umm maybe sit on it with another person to test it out just in case :lol:?

I think the shelf is real wood, but it's on a cabinet that's under it, it looks like it may be mdf, but I'm not sure. The space is too small to sit on, what kind of braces could I add? I'll see if hubby will put his weights on it for a few days but I'm not sure if he has enough weight. Will it eventually start stress? I know it looks more sturdy than some of the stands they sell at petsmart.

With the top not being supported , eventually it will start to bow under the weight of a tank. As previously mentioned, it should be supported. You can use 2x2's for bracing. Cut them a tiny bit longer than the inside of the cabinet from top to bottom, wedge them in and you should be good to go!!

Back
Top Bottom