Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-13-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
Will this develop beneficial bacteria?

I've been told the majority of beneficial bacteria is stored in the filter on the media....But i was wondering...If i slipped something like this onto the end of my HOB intake pipe....
Fluval Edge Pre-Filter Sponge - Filter Media - Fish - PetSmart

Or will it not have any effect at all?

ridewithme38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
come get me tang police!

yes, bb will grow on that also. a prefilter sponge also serves as a form of filter media. BB will be concentrated in the area of the tank with the most available oxygen/food so an area with high water flow like a filter, or even a filter pickup tube, is prime.

Dont Forget to Join my FREE weekly Plant Giveaway.
Click Here!
jetajockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
So heres another question along the same lines...

Can you have TOO MUCH filter media for your tank to cycle...i.e. currently i have two of those pre-filters listed above on my two HOB filters, i have a 3" spongefilter and a 4" spongefilter....Do you need more nitrofying bacteria for more surface area for a cycle to start or will it start when just some is growing
ridewithme38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
The amount of BB will be determined by the Bio-load. To ensure your BB has enough room for them to colonize, having media with tons of surface area helps.

Just add stock and let nature do the rest. A pre-filter sponge I think's a great idea ... can't hurt ... just more surface for BB to colonize.
75g Planted Barbs Denison, BlackRuby, Tiger, Albino Tiger, Green Tiger, Cherry, Gold, Checkered, Odessa.
NonBarbs Cardinal, Neon, RummyNose, Bloodfin Tetras, Z. Danios. 1RTS. Amano, Bamboo, Ghost & RCS. 20g Long Shrimp Tank RCS, Tiger, Amano.
jcolon is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com