Will this develop beneficial bacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ridewithme38

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been told the majority of beneficial bacteria is stored in the filter on the media....But i was wondering...If i slipped something like this onto the end of my HOB intake pipe....
Fluval Edge Pre-Filter Sponge - Filter Media - Fish - PetSmart
pPETS-6228978dt.jpg

Or will it not have any effect at all?

yes, bb will grow on that also. a prefilter sponge also serves as a form of filter media. BB will be concentrated in the area of the tank with the most available oxygen/food so an area with high water flow like a filter, or even a filter pickup tube, is prime.

So heres another question along the same lines...

Can you have TOO MUCH filter media for your tank to cycle...i.e. currently i have two of those pre-filters listed above on my two HOB filters, i have a 3" spongefilter and a 4" spongefilter....Do you need more nitrofying bacteria for more surface area for a cycle to start or will it start when just some is growing

The amount of BB will be determined by the Bio-load. To ensure your BB has enough room for them to colonize, having media with tons of surface area helps.

Just add stock and let nature do the rest. A pre-filter sponge I think's a great idea ... can't hurt ... just more surface for BB to colonize.

Back
Top Bottom