Will this hold my 29 Gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You need something that the tank foot print is completely supported. Also you may want to think about some solid wood. Pressed wood gets wet and get very week. IMO Listen to hubby there always right. lol Just kidding.

Welcome to AA!

+1 for needing a stand to fully support the bottom edge of the tank.

I would be skeptical of the shelf. I have an aquarium stand made of particle board, but it's covered with a plastic veneer for water resistance. The difference is the stand is build with beefy fasteners and most of it is boxed for strength.

Have you looked on the box or the pamphlet for information? I had an 8 gallon on a bookcase, until I reread the pamphlet that came with it and it stated it could only hold 25 pounds. If there isn't any information you could call them and ask.

Edit: Rereading the replies, am I missing something? About the tank not fully fitting on the bookcase? Shouldn't a standard 29 fit?

As long as there's some sort of waterproof veneer on the wood it should be fine for a 29. If you see something starting to bow over time you'll need to move it, but I doubt it will be any problem. A filled 29 weighs around 330 lbs, figure 350 with gravel, etc.

I wouldn't put a 29gal tank on it in my opinion.

I would want something with more cross bracing. The pressed wood would be a concern to me as well... it will inevitably get wet while doing maintenance, etc.

It might be fine... but might to me is unacceptable for holding a fish tank ;)

if the top isnt at least 3/4" thick admit to him that he was right and tell him to build ya one that looks just like it only put the below into use
If it is 3/4 in thick then do this to help the stand.

1. put a sealer/paint on top. most store bought stands like this have cheap stain on it.
2. put a 1/4" ac plywood Painted/Stained on the back of the unit glue and nail the edges. this will stiffen it up
3. that center vertical shelf at the bottom (under the unit) put a spacer under that it will take some of the weight to the floor.
this mod could cost ya $30 and a few hours time

If you or your husband can get ahold of some tools or a friend with some that would help ya build it you could copy the basic design and build it with some good 3/4" plywood and a few hours then prep/paint time. the price for building a good one less than $150 painted. If you wanted to upgrade and go stain grade a little more.
Best of luck

Back
Top Bottom