will this light work for me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_Crazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29Gal tank with the standard 20W 24"bulb. I want to do planted and fish. To upgrade my lighting, do I need to buy a new lightstrip like a twin lightstrip or can I simply get a better bulb? Is there a bulb I can get for a 30" light strip (24" bulb) that would help with Plants? Please let me know

btw. I am fine with a limited selecetion of low light plants if I could avoid an expensive lighting upgrade.

Thanks

You will either need to retrofit your current fixture or buy a new one (easier). Big Al's has some descent prices for the type of lighting you will need. I'd personally go with a twin fixture.
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=23835;category_id=1853;pcid1=1843;pcid2=
This one is nice and would give you a slightly better range of plants with a good spread.
It will allow you to grow more difficult plants if you add CO2 also. Keep in mind that plants that require high light still won't do well but some mid light plants can be grown with the addition of Co2.

Simpte's twin fixture may not fit on to your existing hood so you would need a glass hood. This is another good option:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=32847;category_id=1853;pcid1=1843;pcid2=
It is very narrow and almost as much wattage, but a better reflector. I have the 24" 28 watt version on my 20 gal. I love it and my plants do too.
The other option is to overdrive your NO bulb by buying a more powerful ballast and hooking that up to your existing hood. That gets rather complicated and best for those comfortable with wiring. It also generates a lot more heat.

There are some plants that do well under your existing lighting. I have some African fern and Anubias in a planted 29 gallon tank with a 20 watt bulb.

I like the T5 and I use 2 of them myself. The downside is limited selection of K ratings.

Back
Top Bottom