Will this stand work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol...what else does it need? Reviews on this stand are actually good. It looks minimal, but doable once I even it up. But then based on my assumptions so far, what the heck do I know. The design can't be that bad, can it?

Do I sound desperate yet?

I will say this, I'm not a big fan of having to fix something I bought. You kinda expect those things to work and that's a fairly big problem. However brookster is one of the best lumber builders I know, I'd take his word as holy writ.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I will say this, I'm not a big fan of having to fix something I bought. You kinda expect those things to work and that's a fairly big problem. However brookster is one of the best lumber builders I know, I'd take his word as holy writ.

Absolutely! I was getting upset about the thought of having to do anything to it. It's loaded in the car. I'm taking it back tomorrow after work. If only I'd noticed this at the shop, which is a 30 minute drive from here.

Okay Brookster, you're the man...what do I have to do to get this tank on a stand that I can trust?

Oh man.. I'm going to try something here. Bare with me..
Edit.. I was going to suggest padding the inside.. upon further inspection.. get a piece of cardboard and cut it to fit the inside, fits within a 1/16" (of an inch), basically where the tank will rest, you have the cardboard template, mark it directionally with a,b,c,d on all 4 sides, label top too, mark corresponding letters on stand. Take to home depot and have them cut the template exactly, explain to them it's very important that's it's accurate, trace on A.C. or cabinet grade 3/4" plywood. Bring piece home, get some premium construction adhesive and bury that piece of plywood into the stand where the tank will rest . Glue it everywhere the plywood touches stand. Put some heavy objects on all four corners and screw down. Let sit for 48hrs. I'd warranty that..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Dad and I built this stand for my 40b classroom turtle tank and it would hold a truck. We used 2x4's and deck screws. I just wanted something prettier this time, it's going in my bedroom.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0746.JPG
    IMG_0746.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 54
Oh man.. I'm going to try something here. Bare with me..
Edit.. I was going to suggest padding the inside.. upon further inspection.. get a piece of cardboard and cut it to fit the inside, fits within a 1/16" (of an inch), basically where the tank will rest, you have the cardboard template, mark it directionally with a,b,c,d on all 4 sides, label top too, mark corresponding letters on stand. Take to home depot and have them cut the template exactly, explain to them it's very important that's it's accurate, trace on A.C. or cabinet grade 3/4" plywood. Bring piece home, get some premium construction adhesive and bury that piece of plywood into the stand where the tank will rest . Glue it everywhere the plywood touches stand. Put some heavy objects on all four corners and screw down. Let sit for 48hrs. I'd warranty that..

Whoa, sounds good! But wait. Forgive me, but how are we compensating for the higher middle support beam? The plywood won't rest on an even base, unless I remove the center board or add equivalent boards to each end, making it level with the middle support and then placing the fitted plywood on top of that. Did I miss something?

Last edited:
Ya hard to beat 2x4 for cost and strength. If your cool with rustic. A couple of free pallets give you nice siding.

You can paint that stand too. It's a decent looking box, just tongue and groove board without a skeleton makes nervous. Could be ok isn't an option for me. I need it to be ok

you can take a 2x4 stand and make as nice looking of a stand as you like. Quarter or 3/8 sheeting wrapped around, add drawers or doors wherever you like.

You can paint that stand too. It's a decent looking box, just tongue and groove board without a skeleton makes nervous. Could be ok isn't an option for me. I need it to be ok

Me too. Therein lies my problem. I've decided that I'm not leaving anything to chance.

you can take a 2x4 stand and make as nice looking of a stand as you like. Quarter or 3/8 sheeting wrapped around, add drawers or doors wherever you like.

Looks like that's what we'll be doing this weekend.

Ya hard to beat 2x4 for cost and strength. If your cool with rustic. A couple of free pallets give you nice siding.

I actually love the rustic look. I noticed an old broken down barn on my way to work the other day thought about stopping by to see if I could get some of the side boards for another project, but I could incorporate the boards into the new stand I'm sure.

I actually love the rustic look. I noticed an old broken down barn on my way to work the other day thought about stopping by to see if I could get some of the side boards for another project, but I could incorporate the boards into the new stand I'm sure.

Cosmetically of course.

Wait...someone suggested the tank actually sits on the top. I found this pic...what the heck? If so, then what supports the piece it sits on?

Attachments

• IMG_3847.JPG
    IMG_3847.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 41
I sent you the picture showing how it is supported.

Tens of thousands of those stands have been in use for many many years. While definitely improvements can be made the perform as needed. Failures that are common make their way to the sites and everyone that has been keeping fish for any length of time can recall products that have issues including recalls at time. The same stand construction as the one in the picture is used up to the 200 plus gallon tanks.

The only knock I recall seeing over the years is the base inside the cabinet not having enough support when used with larger sumps. Most end up putting 2x4 bracing or line the base with 3/4 ply.

Along with that picture I also sent you the picture showing how it is supported....

Tens of thousands of those stands have been in use for many many years. While definitely improvements can be made the perform as needed. Failures that are common make their way to the sites and everyone that has been keeping fish for any length of time can recall products that have issues including recalls at time. The same stand construction as the one in the picture is used up to the 200 plus gallon tanks.

The only knock I recall seeing over the years is the base inside the cabinet not having enough support when used with larger sumps. Most end up putting 2x4 bracing or line the base with 3/4 ply.

I looked for your post but for some reason I can't find it.

Back
Top Bottom