Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Will this work?

I have ordered two 1000L/H canister filters I'd like to fill one with mechanical filter media and the second with biological media. Can I link the two, so that the intake pipe goes into the mechanical filter then through the biological before being pumped back into the tank?

Old 04-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Sounds interesting the problem I see is that if one of the canisters fails for whatever reason your gunna blow the other pump pretty quick, plus that water will be moving pretty fast with both pumps going.
Priming them both would be a pain but I like the idea.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

It does seem like it would work but seems like if you got any kind of build up in either canister you could either burn a pump or flood your house I am curious as to if anyone runs similar setup. I think it would just be easier and less hassle to run a bigger single system rather than linking 2 small ones though.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the responses. Do you think (filtration wise) connecting the two canisters would be more effective than running them alongside?

I'm no stranger to flooding my house! Hehe, I've removed my carpet and learned to keep power boards off the floor!

I find the large canisters ( >2000l/h) too unwieldy when it comes time to clean them- I just can't lift them these days.

Could I set it up so that I can thoroughly clean the sponges monthly, and lightly rinse the bio media every 3 or 4 months? I have found in my other canisters, that within 4-6 weeks the sponges are full and the bio media is clogging up. I don't want to disturb the bio media any more than I have to- but since the sponges go on the bottom, I've had no choice.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #5

If you really want 2 why don't you just run them independently either side of tank.
I've done this with a cannister filter and the built in hood filter. There's more pipes in the tank but if the tank is big enough you should be able to hide them well enough
Old 04-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyrw View Post
If you really want 2 why don't you just run them independently either side of tank.
I've done this with a cannister filter and the built in hood filter. There's more pipes in the tank but if the tank is big enough you should be able to hide them well enough
That's exactly what I have done with my other tanks, but I'm just wondering if connecting them would be better. Would it be more powerful? Would I gain substantially from being able to rinse my sponges (in one canister) without disturbing my BB (in the other canister) ?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspixie View Post

That's exactly what I have done with my other tanks, but I'm just wondering if connecting them would be better. Would it be more powerful? Would I gain substantially from being able to rinse my sponges (in one canister) without disturbing my BB (in the other canister) ?
Putting them in series I'm guessing would increase the speed through the 1st cannister as its being sucked in and sucked out but the actual speed coming out the output outlet would be governed by size of pipe and max rpm of 2nd pump. It would defiantly be faster then a single pump but not sure by how much.
If you have already ordered them the best way to find out would be booking them up and seeing what happens, just watch the heat from the pumps and make sure there primed.
I couldn't say with any authority on the benefits of the media placement other then easier maintenance
Old 04-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I doubt you'll gain if there rated the same, not sure what you mean by not disturbing bio tho? Could you just rotate filter cleanings with mech and bio?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

If the second canister is sucking out of first faster and second one can only discharge it at a set speed would larger diameter discharge make a difference? I could see intake on first maybe not being able to keep up, it is interesting tho
Old 04-08-2013, 01:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmckee727 View Post
If the second canister is sucking out of first faster and second one can only discharge it at a set speed would larger diameter discharge make a difference? I could see intake on first maybe not being able to keep up, it is interesting tho
The larger pipe would only Come into play if the discharge pipe is to small to accommodate the maximum rated flow rate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com