Will this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactuspixie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have ordered two 1000L/H canister filters I'd like to fill one with mechanical filter media and the second with biological media. Can I link the two, so that the intake pipe goes into the mechanical filter then through the biological before being pumped back into the tank?

Sounds interesting the problem I see is that if one of the canisters fails for whatever reason your gunna blow the other pump pretty quick, plus that water will be moving pretty fast with both pumps going.
Priming them both would be a pain but I like the idea.

It does seem like it would work but seems like if you got any kind of build up in either canister you could either burn a pump or flood your house :) I am curious as to if anyone runs similar setup. I think it would just be easier and less hassle to run a bigger single system rather than linking 2 small ones though.

Thanks for the responses. Do you think (filtration wise) connecting the two canisters would be more effective than running them alongside?

I'm no stranger to flooding my house! Hehe, I've removed my carpet and learned to keep power boards off the floor!

I find the large canisters ( >2000l/h) too unwieldy when it comes time to clean them- I just can't lift them these days.

Could I set it up so that I can thoroughly clean the sponges monthly, and lightly rinse the bio media every 3 or 4 months? I have found in my other canisters, that within 4-6 weeks the sponges are full and the bio media is clogging up. I don't want to disturb the bio media any more than I have to- but since the sponges go on the bottom, I've had no choice.

If you really want 2 why don't you just run them independently either side of tank.
I've done this with a cannister filter and the built in hood filter. There's more pipes in the tank but if the tank is big enough you should be able to hide them well enough

If you really want 2 why don't you just run them independently either side of tank.
I've done this with a cannister filter and the built in hood filter. There's more pipes in the tank but if the tank is big enough you should be able to hide them well enough

That's exactly what I have done with my other tanks, but I'm just wondering if connecting them would be better. Would it be more powerful? Would I gain substantially from being able to rinse my sponges (in one canister) without disturbing my BB (in the other canister) ?

That's exactly what I have done with my other tanks, but I'm just wondering if connecting them would be better. Would it be more powerful? Would I gain substantially from being able to rinse my sponges (in one canister) without disturbing my BB (in the other canister) ?

Putting them in series I'm guessing would increase the speed through the 1st cannister as its being sucked in and sucked out but the actual speed coming out the output outlet would be governed by size of pipe and max rpm of 2nd pump. It would defiantly be faster then a single pump but not sure by how much.
If you have already ordered them the best way to find out would be booking them up and seeing what happens, just watch the heat from the pumps and make sure there primed.
I couldn't say with any authority on the benefits of the media placement other then easier maintenance

I doubt you'll gain if there rated the same, not sure what you mean by not disturbing bio tho? Could you just rotate filter cleanings with mech and bio?

If the second canister is sucking out of first faster and second one can only discharge it at a set speed would larger diameter discharge make a difference? I could see intake on first maybe not being able to keep up, it is interesting tho

If the second canister is sucking out of first faster and second one can only discharge it at a set speed would larger diameter discharge make a difference? I could see intake on first maybe not being able to keep up, it is interesting tho

The larger pipe would only Come into play if the discharge pipe is to small to accommodate the maximum rated flow rate

The larger pipe would only Come into play if the discharge pipe is to small to accommodate the maximum rated flow rate

That's what I was thinking, and then you would have a whirlpool in your tank and an embolism in your hose.

I don't know what that means, but it doesn't sound good! I don't know whether it matters, but the pumps are identical. Only the media will differ.

I don't know what that means, but it doesn't sound good! I don't know whether it matters, but the pumps are identical. Only the media will differ.

I meant discharge too small it will create an embolism, ( being sarcastic, a balloon in the line resulting in thinned lines). Basically I think it would build back pressure .

I meant discharge too small it will create an embolism, ( being sarcastic, a balloon in the line resulting in thinned lines). Basically I think it would build back pressure .

So even though the filters are the same size, the 2nd filter would need a bigger output hose than the intake hose on the first? If that's the case I'll give it a miss :-(

So even though the filters are the same size, the 2nd filter would need a bigger output hose than the intake hose on the first? If that's the case I'll give it a miss :-(

I wish I had an answer :) it is an interesting subject and I'm sure it can and has been ran before but I'm just guessing and trying to see any potential problems. I honestly don't know

From what I've read I wouldn't recommend that. They both need to be gravity fed, and you'll be pumping the water into the second. And media, dirt, or even mechanics will change the flow rates. Even if they're exactly the same, one might pump little slower/faster right out the factory. Just my $.02

From what I've read I wouldn't recommend that. They both need to be gravity fed, and you'll be pumping the water into the second. And media, dirt, or even mechanics will change the flow rates. Even if they're exactly the same, one might pump little slower/faster right out the factory. Just my $.02

Oh well. Back to the drawing board :-(

I've tried this before.Your best bet is to remove the impeller and NOT plug in the filter that the water will go through first.Using both motors just doesn't work well.This makes for a very good biological filter and will work well,the draw back will be is if the filter the first one will be able to be opened and cleaned easily.Keeping it clean and leaving your second filter closed will help keeping your good bacteria strong.Although if a disease breaks out you have to tear them both apart and clean.I'll advise as others to use the both independently.For me this is the fun part about aquarium keeping is building and tring your own ideas.

Back
Top Bottom