winter ro/di input water heating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minghi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi, i'm starting my first FOWLR but having a headache with the ro/di system, first it wouldn't give more than a few drops every second, i checked the pressure and it was 40psi, so i moved it to another spot in the house which showed 58psi, water started flowing in pretty smooth but stopped in a few minutes, it turned out to be freezing cold and i shut it off to prevent further damage.

Is there anything i can do to bring the water back to normal temps? i was thinking of purchasing the hydor 300w inline heater, will use it on the ro/di system for the winter and set the input temps to 70 i guess, anyone doing a similar thing?

water output always slows down in the winter. Colder water has a harder time going through the membrane. If you were to heat the water a little it probably will put out more.

Heat tape... Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc... Wrap it, plug it in... enjoy

Heat tape... Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc... Wrap it, plug it in... enjoy
thanks i saw what you meant at HD but sorry, i couldn't justify spending $30+ on a wire that will have limited use, so i ended up buying a lot of clear tubing for a few bucks and placed it in a bucket with boiling hot water and let the input water to the ro/di flow through this tubing which i assume would bring the temperature to 50 or 60 deg and flow rate increased drastically.

All depends on the value you place on your time. For me, I plug it in when it gets cold, unplug it when it gets warm...You're gonna fill the bucket, boil the water, empty the bucket .. over and over again.

As always to each their own. Good luck w/ it

Back
Top Bottom