Wire storage racks and aquarium safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barliman

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I've seen a number of people who use wire storage racks in their fishrooms to house tanks:they're inexpensive, flexible, and look better than brick and board. I recently bought a set rated at 350 lbs. per shelf to hold a 20-long and a 10g. I was all set to go when I watched this video...

In a later comment, Katia told me the shelves were rated for the same weight as mine. I suspect they're the same brand. Let me just say, I was a little uneasy after seeing this. :uhoh: :eek: :shocked!:

Now, it's always possible she did something wrong, or the unit was defective. So, I thought I'd ask around for a second opinion: does anyone here at AA have experience with this kind of shelving for aquariums, and have you had any problems? :confused:

I was using one for household stuff. It’s impossible to get the shelves level. Killed me. OCD. I gave them away.

Last edited:
Loved it -"these racks should in theory hold ... "
And when they don't who's problem it's going to be?

Packaging may state whatever numbers , those shelves do not have trusty/rigid look to me.
30 gal tank is what? 300-330lbs? Yeah, let's test just how much it will really take.
I simply don't get it why people do it.

Good that it ended up well for video author. Hope she went with good setup after that close call.

Its a shame that Edsal stopped making selling shelves at HD/Lowes..
They used to sell a 36" shelf that fit 40bs perfect and help up well.
I have several of those..
I wouldn't use the type shelf you have simply due to how they lock[or fail to] in place...
I want to see clear pins/bolts something that physically holds the shelf..Just me.

I stack alot of weight in tools on something similar. I'd imagine a tank the OP's size would be ok

I wouldn't use the type shelf you have simply due to how they lock[or fail to] in place...
I want to see clear pins/bolts something that physically holds the shelf..Just me.

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I'm not trusting it for something as weighty as water.I wanted something that looked better in the living room than brick-and-board (my grad school days are long behind me).

Oh, well. At least they'll be good for storage in my closet. :morning:

Back
Top Bottom