Wiring 80mm Fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KreativJustin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone, I ordered a ebmpapst 8500vw (80mm). I ordered this one because it was 'all' metal and we use them A LOT (80mm-120mm) at work for cooling our VHO lights. This is going to be for my new T5 HO fixture (4 bulb, 2x actinic and 2x 10k).

However, when I got this, it has no plug on it! When we get them at work, they are already plugged and ready to go. So is it safe to say that I can just grab a regular plugin like this from lowes and wire it up? http://www.lowes.com/pd_70307-66906-UT005608_4294722440__?productId=3427798&Ntt=cords&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dcords&facetInfo=

Any help is appreciated. And if I can do it like this, or not.. can I wire say 4 fans to out 'plug' and have them all running off of the one?

I'm assuming its a two wire fan if so you can wire it using that plug. I don't think I would wire all the fans into one I'd go with two and two.Although if you really wanted to I guess you could since its rated for 1600 watts and 13 amps.

Is it a dc fan or an ac fan? If it's a dc fan don't add a plug to it.

Is it a dc fan or an ac fan? If it's a dc fan don't add a plug to it.

Description:
FAN 80 X 38MM 115VAC
Family: AC Fans
Voltage: Rated115VAC
Air Flow: 36.0 CFM (1.02m³/min)
Noise: 34 dB(A) **very quiet**
Termination: 2 Wire Leads
Nominal Speed: 3200RPM

I plan on using noise reducer pads to cut down on any vibration. Possibly make a small heat sink for the middle fan (120mm) and use 2 80mm fans on the ends with the fixture designed to pull the heat from the end sockets. If they still are extremely hot, I will add 2 more 80mm fans on the ends. The 120mm should take care of the middle area, but adding another fan or two up there won't be a problem either. I don't want to over kill it, so I will start out vaguely small and upgrade as needed.

I'm a fabricator by trade, but not an electrician :) So this wiring is a new thing to me, and I will thoroughly test it before every equipping it to my aquarium.

I hooked it up today and it worked great. Nice flow output, not too much, not too little. Very quiet and still sturdy.

Thanks everyone!

:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom