Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wiring quick disconnects to MH ballast?

I finally got around to mounting my MH ballasts to my canopy and then wiring them to my reflectors. I would like to know how to wire the quick disconnects. in the plug(male end) it has (N) ground then (L). I know the green wire goes to ground but which wires go to (N) and (L). I'm guessing black is (n) and white is (L). is this correct? Also my reflectors only have two wire connected to them, one white and one black with no ground wire. My thinking is the mogul light socket is grounded to the reflector so it doesn't need a ground. Is this correct? Or do i take the green wire and from my quick disconnect and connect it to the reflector? Also what size /kind of wire should I use? The ballasts are getting mounted on the canopy so the wire runs will be short 3-4 ft max to the lights. thanks

Old 01-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

i have no clue, but generally in electricity, black is hot and white is neutral and green or bare is ground.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could you post a pic? I can't picture what your saying. I think I could tell you if I saw it.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

i think I got it figured out. N(neutral) is the white wire and L(live) is the black wire.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

you will have the neutral (white wire)and the HOT wire(black) coming off the cord there is a green inside the cord that is usually grounded off to the ficture itself close to where the wiring harness coming into the housing.

white is always neutral and black is always hot and green is always ground in 110v wiring if the electrician follows the unwritten rules.

Tags
ballast, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com