Wiring quick disconnects to MH ballast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcmelski

Aquarium Advice Activist
I finally got around to mounting my MH ballasts to my canopy and then wiring them to my reflectors. I would like to know how to wire the quick disconnects. in the plug(male end) it has (N) ground then (L). I know the green wire goes to ground but which wires go to (N) and (L). I'm guessing black is (n) and white is (L). is this correct? Also my reflectors only have two wire connected to them, one white and one black with no ground wire. My thinking is the mogul light socket is grounded to the reflector so it doesn't need a ground. Is this correct? Or do i take the green wire and from my quick disconnect and connect it to the reflector? Also what size /kind of wire should I use? The ballasts are getting mounted on the canopy so the wire runs will be short 3-4 ft max to the lights. thanks

Could you post a pic? I can't picture what your saying. I think I could tell you if I saw it.

i think I got it figured out. N(neutral) is the white wire and L(live) is the black wire.

you will have the neutral (white wire)and the HOT wire(black) coming off the cord there is a green inside the cord that is usually grounded off to the ficture itself close to where the wiring harness coming into the housing.

white is always neutral and black is always hot and green is always ground in 110v wiring if the electrician follows the unwritten rules.

Back
Top Bottom