Wiring VHO end cap question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DOLPH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a retrofit vho kit and have a question regarding wiring of the end caps.

The end caps have a rubber piece on the bottom and both are connected by two screws. The two screws then connect the end cap to the plastic mount which is then screwed into the canopy, fixture, or wooden blocks with two more screws to support the bulbs.
My question is where do the wires go? Are they placed between the rubber piece and the screws or between the end caps and the rubber piece?
Though there are many ways to make the connections I assume there is only one correct way. Below I list three possibilities form the likeliest to the least likely.
1. The likeliest connection is end cap --> wire ---> rubber piece ---> plastic mount ---> screws.

2. End cap ---> rubber piece ---> wire ---> plastic mount ---> screws.

3. The least likely is end cap ---> rubber piece ---> plastic mount ---> wire ---> screws.

Which is the correct connection?

I'm glad you figured it out because that confused me and I have a VHO retro that I put together....hehe....

Mine were wired up by pushing the end of the wire up and into the endcap through the bottom (there is a little slit and a copper piece locks the wire in place) I then ran the wire out of the hood and to the ballast. Nothing fancy really.

Neither 1, 2, or 3 is the correct method. Ziggy you have it correct. They go up through the bottom. I'm in the process now of drilling holes into the wood (that the end caps sit on) so that the wires can go through. You would think they would make this easier. If I'd have known this I would have drilled the holes before I screwed the wood into the canopy.

I'm not sure what kind of endcaps you guys have but mine have a nice little slot that the wires can run out of through the back of the endcap.

I wish. Mine have to be connected through the bottom as I do not have such a hole. there are two slots on the bottom for the two wires.

My end caps are connected through the bottom too. Chase33 is right though I did not think of drilling the holes through the wood. Good idea. Can one of you respond to my UV? thread in the same forum?

Mine slide into and lock into place also. I found that I do not need to drill into the wood to run the wires through. The come out at the bottom between the end cap and the mount. Easy once I figured it out.

Back
Top Bottom