Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-09-2005, 02:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Wobbly Tank

I have a 50 gallon saltwater tank. I bought it and the stand as a package. I have the thing set up on carpet and it seems to be a little wobbly. I can push hard on it and push the stand back against the wall.

Any ideas? Is this normal? I have seen other reports of anchoring it against a wall. How do you do this?

Robert Pomerenk

Old 12-09-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

is it only wobbly front to back, or is it wobbly in all directions (like a chair with a short leg) . if this is a prebuild stand, it should be almost perfectly level... it may be your floor. my tank is on carpet and will rock front to back slightly if you push it. A small amount of movement can be expected if you are on carpet since the whole thing is VERY top-heavy, and you dont have a direct interface between the stand and the hard floor.

check everything is level... if it is off a bit, make everything as level as you can get it. shoot for perfectly level, but a tiny bit off probably wont ruin anything. my tank has about a 1/16" difference in water level front to back, and i have no problems with my tank leaking or breaking.

also, if you are on carpet, you may have part of the stand resting on the tack strips. make sure you are a few inches away from the wall so you avoid the nail/tack strips.

~mike

Coralife Lunar Aqualight (4x65W),
60 LB Hirocks Base Rock, 40 LB LR 50/50 Keys/Gulf
150 LB Playsand (~3-4 in DSB)
2 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp, 2 x Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Black and White Percula Clown, 1 x Orange Spotted Blenny, 1 x Red Stripe High Fin Goby
mp3z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

It only rocks from front to back and only if I push hard on it.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Being on carpet, it will do that until it sinks into the carpet pad. Nothing to worry about. My 55G is like that now, since I haven't had it long. Eventually is should sink into the pad and be more stable.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
I've had a lot of experience with it in the furniture business (over 10 yrs), delivering chinas and entertainment centers, etc. You can't really level the doors until it's completely sunk into the carpet pad, and it rocks from front to back. Once it's sunk into place, you won't have any rocking. And that can take anywhere from a week to 2 months, depending on the pad under the carpet.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com