Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2004, 08:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wooden piling section as substrate

Has anyone else used a piece of wooden piling as a part of a tank or even part of the substrate? I saw a few pieces today that were covered with barnacles and periwinkles that would be pretty cool in a tank that was made up for a bay-type tank.

Old 09-26-2004, 08:15 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Interesting. I would think you would need to cure the wood like those who have FW tanks do when they add drift wood. That way you can make sure the wood tannins dont seep into your water, etc.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 08:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

True. I wish I knew how long this wood had been submerged. From the looks of it, it has been underwater a long time. The barnacles were quite prolific. Periwinkles can be found just about anywhere and introduced to the tank. The problem with a lot of periwinkles (i.e. Littorina ziczac) is that some species are adapted to life in an intertidal zone where they are subject to alternating flooding and ebbing of tides. I don't know if I could reliably duplicate that in a tank without a lot of $$$ spent on a timed drain and fill.
Any ideas there?

Tags
substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com