Woohoo! Filter just delivered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottVinVA

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got my Fluval 304 delivered today. I just finished setting it up, which was not as easy as I expected. Seems the directions are not 100% clear and they left ouf some parts in the process to setting it back up.

Anyway, I figured it all out fine, its up and running now and amazingly quiet. The primer sucked, that took a while to get started, but once water was in and I could plug it in, it was good.

Also, for those that say it takes a day for it to stop making noises...remember. There are bubbles in there still. I wacked mine left then right then forward then back a few times, basically rocked the air out of it - instant quietness.

I have a rubermaid box under the filter for safty sake while its getting started. The connections were a bit shabby. Just feels scary to have it just pushed together like it is and not feel like a tight click in feel.

:)

I have never had any joins fail on my fluval, in fact sometimes I find it hard to get them apart when I want. A good problem to have.

To prime... I suck on the outlet pipe to get a siphon and let the water run out into a bucket.... pop it in the tank then turn on. Much quicker and easier to egt the water flowing.

Congratulations on your new filter. The recent series of Fluvals are very quiet. I think it always comes as a surprise to new owners.

Personally, I'm not fond of the rubber band method of connecting the intake and return lines to the tank. I think that piece should be redesigned. However, it does get the job done.

asaint

Personally, I'm not fond of the rubber band method of connecting the intake and return lines to the tank. I think that piece should be redesigned. However, it does get the job done

I agree...those bands were so maddening, I had to rig a DIY to keep er' steady. This is especially true of the intake. I had to cut the darn thing (it was long enough so it was at substrate level). Because of the cut, it would never be secured to the suction cup that comes with it. :D

All things considered...it is a joy to own and operate. Never had trouble priming..unless you just don't like performing that pumping action....LOL

the secret to fluval priming, is not to do it by the directions. Fill your filter with water, close it up, hook it to the hoses, then pump the primer a few times and start it up. You get tons of air in it otherwise, and if it was the first time it sometimes doesn't pump. I had three to set up. First time, by the directions stunk. Second and third time I filled it up first, and It was easy.

Well, the directions said -

NOTE: Do not fill filter before closing it up.

I agree that you SHOULD fill up the filter to allow for faster priming. Someone that said they sucked on the outlet to fill it up first was a good idea. However not once it has been thru dirty water! ICK

haha

Back
Top Bottom