Work shop lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need to buy lights for the 75gal I plan on setting up soon. (i feel like im always saying that.. "setting up soon"). Someone mentioned using workshop lights you can get at home depot or where ever. I would really like a 48 in twin flourecent light for my tank.. but seeing how they are $100 I need to go a different route.

I know this is 10in short of 48 but what do you think? Is it safe once I get a glass top?

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=27277-290-HSL300

or is that over kill?

Are you growing plants? If so, you will need fluorescent. If not, those halogens are going to get hot, but otherwise I don't know what impact they will have.

If you are growing plants, you can get a shop light at Lowe's, usually for under $10, that consists of two 40-watt bulbs. I used a pair of these for my 55 for a long time and grew plants beautifully, until I got tired of them covering the entire top of my tank.

I was worried about the heat

Im not growing plants, but lights under $10 sounds nice.. and will work if one day I want to grow lights

Those Halogens are nice, but it dosn't seem like it gives the right intensity for plant growth.

I could be wrong, tho. :-\

None the less, it is a beautiful light! You'd probably pay a hundred or more for something like that at a LFS.

I would really like a 48 in twin flourecent light for my tank.. but seeing how they are $100 I need to go a different route.

The ones I bought (for a different purpose) were really cheap. I got these (click). There's even cheaper ones as well. If you wanted to, you could strip the lights for the parts, and build a simple enclosure for the lights. The only thing that would cost you a lot is the bulbs, but if you shop smart you could get them for 15 bucks or so each (The bulbs in home depot really aren't designed for a fishtank. The whole setup--4- 40W bulbs--should cost you a little over $100. With two bulbs it would be a little over $50. (I'm not sure if you didn't want to spend $100 on just a fixture or if you didn't want to spend $100 period). If it's any consolation, I just spent over $100 on lighting for my 30 gallon planted tank.

I picked up 48" twin tube shoplights from Home Depot last year for some of my tank tanks. I think they ran only about $15 each. I use 2-40W bulbs in them.

Bryan

" I would really like a 48 in twin flourecent light for my tank.. but seeing how they are $100 I need to go a different route."

Do not get ripped off buying dual strip lights at a pet store. I paid $50 for an All-Glass 24 inch twin tube fixture and it is crap. I have used the thing for about 3 months and already the ballast makes a wretched noise the entire time it is on, even when I replaced the bulbs. I got a PC light to replace it, now that died and I am back to the twin tube until the replacement PC gets here.

Home Depot sells 48 inch twin tube fixtures for $7, and you can buy a 2 pack of 6500K Phillips "Daylight Deluxe" bulbs for less than $10. That is under $20 for 80 watts of nice 6500K light. Here is my friends setup:

55nl.jpg

That is a $7 fixture and the bulbs were $8 each at a pet store because the Cichlids look better under a 9300K bulb than a 6500K one.

Back
Top Bottom