Workhorse 7 wiring problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggen

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok. I am having some trouble getting my 2X55W PC square pen lamps to fire when wired to a Fulham Workhorse 7 ballast. Now, according to Fulham's website I am supposed to use this diagram for wiring the bulbs together:

wire11.gif

However, I have done this and still cant get them to light. When I do turn the ballast on, the bulbs glow extremely dim almost like they arent getting the proper voltage to them. I tested the bulbs in known working fixture and they fired right up so I know the bulbs are ok. I am beginning to suspect a bad ballast but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on this.

The endcaps I received where built for a PFO ballast since they had that crazy looking plug on the end of the cord. I cut the plug off to reveal 4 wires coming out of the endcap: blue, black, brown, and yellow/green.

On the ballast, there are 5 wires coming out: 4 reds and 1 yellow. According to the diagram, I am supposed to connect each pair of reds together to form one line. If I do this for both pair, then I come out with just two reds. Then it looks like each joined red pair now connects directly to the endcap of each bulb. However, I am not sure as to how many wires coming out of the endcap are supposed to connect to each red pair. I also don't know how many wires are supposed to connect to the yellow (common) wire coming out of the ballast.

Anyone have any experience wiring this ballast up?

Biggen,

If no one helps ya out by tomorrow I wil give it a shot.. Right now My mind is a bit messed from going out on a friday night to make any good sense.. I have the workhorse 5 that i hooked up and I could help you.. I will try and send you a pm first thing in the morning when i am a bit more sober to help ya you.. I can even get pictures of how mine is hooked up..

James

That would be great, James! I am pretty sure I have it wired wrong. Well at least I have it wired like the diagram indicates but I am pretty sure, for some reason, it is incorrect. If you could give me a description and a picture that would be excellent!!

I will try and send you a pm first thing in the morning when i am a bit more sober to help ya you.

My passion is Wild Turkey so I know how your feel...

:D

Just a suggestion while you wait for James's brain cells to cycle:

I am not familliar with the ballast you are using but many magnetic ballasts require a metal back plane (i.e. reflector) inorder to function correctly. If you are testing this without a metal strip that runs along the bulb a few inches from the bulb and the ballast is a magetic type - this may be your problem.

I noticed that the directions say "remote mounting distances varies with lamps, contact customer service." This may apply here but I'm not sure.

Just some thoughts.

Tom

Ok, I got it fired up!! Had the wrong pair of wires coming out of the endcap connected to the ballast.

Thanks for the help guys. When I get it hung next week I will post some pics of the final setup.

Awesome Glad you got it working.. Looks great..

My passion is Wild Turkey so I know how your feel...
Long Island Ice Tea is my passion... the place we went last night makes the Extremely strong... I can usually drink 4 but at that place 1 is plenty along with something else.. Last night was a nasty lemon drop.. there great when they are made right lol.. Its them Country Bars.. They will do it to you every time LOL

James

Back
Top Bottom