Woud these lights be ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

downtime89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys looking to get a cheaper light set up for my reef tank, running a 6 bulb t5ho right now but want to cut back on the power bill. So i was going to go with a led system I currently dont have any sps corals and dont plan on getting any any time soon, possibly some birds nest and monti cap but way in the future. Currently i have just zoas, leathers, shrooms and a few frogspawns and hammers. Would this light system be ok? If so wat all could i keep under it? And should i keep some of the lps a little higher in the tank? If you dont recomend this light can ya point out something similar priced in led. The tank is a 3ft 65 gallon.

AquaticLife EDGE LED Aquarium Light Fixture

I wouldn't keep much more than lower light demanding coral under it. Looks like it could easily keep soft corals and your hammer higher up in the tank. I wouldn't even try to keep any SPS or anemone under it.

What if I did 2 of the units? Not saying sps or anemone but would the lips be ok then lower?

Might be able to get away with lower light SPS or an easier to keep anemone.

Edit: Have you looked into the taotronics fixtures? They are a third of the price and you'll be able to keep anything you want under them. A simple timer on it and the process is automated for you. All you'd have to do is figure out how you'd want to hang it.

No way IMO. This fixture is just for looks. Their 3 foot fixture is only 48 watts. Weak is the word I would use. If we are talking a 3' tank, then 2 of these fixtures will be around $350.00. Even 2 of the Taotronics or similar panels Hank mentioned would only be around $180, and you'll be able to keep anything you want.

Have not heard of the taotronics, I just looked for them a bit from my phone all I found was a used one on Amazon and just one. I did notice it pulled 120 watts tho, so 2 would be 240, was I mistaken I could get away with led at a very very low energy usage? Could you link the fixture your talking about.

If i get those ill go with 2 its in the budget just keep em turned town a bit, which of those 2 would you go with, i like the housing of the white one over the black but i thats all i know lol dont know enough about led lights to pick the right one.

Either one of those I linked will make your tank and corals look very nice and grow them well. I prefer the straight blue and white ones with the white case, but many like the multicolored lights. It's up to you. I would try one first, then if you feel it's not enough, or you are getting too much shadowing on the edges, get a second.

they are ordered I got to with the white casing went ahead and got two cuz I want to be worry free on having enough light.

So my 3ft wide 65 should be great. Should I be able to keep soft and lps at bottom?

So the wife just accidentally busted the front glass on the 65 hand trucks fell into it.....I have a 90 in storage will these 2 lights be enough? 4ft 90...

Either one of those I linked will make your tank and corals look very nice and grow them well. I prefer the straight blue and white ones with the white case, but many like the multicolored lights. It's up to you. I would try one first, then if you feel it's not enough, or you are getting too much shadowing on the edges, get a second.

On a side note, the white cased units have more white LEDs. The black cased ones have more blue LEDs.

Lights look awesome I'll post some pics asap... don't have any intentions on getting one but would these lights support a clam?

Back
Top Bottom