Would a Sponge filter work for 29 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'd like to hear thoughts on running a sponge filter as the primary filter on a 29 gallon tank. Is this a bad idea? I know they are underrated filters when it comes to bio filtration, but as I understand, they are just OK at mechanical filtration. Would I need to put in a fan to have some flow in the tank?

The only reason I ask is that I'm getting frustrated with the poor impeller design on my Aquaclear 50 HOB filter that I'm currently using on my 29 Gallon. I'm currently running it with a pre-filter sponge on the intake tube so the little fishes don't get sucked up. It's always had a rattle problem and now it's starting to lose flow. I have a replacement impeller on order, but if that doesn't fix the problem, I wanted to look for some other options.

I don't see it being a problem I've used sponge filters for overstocked fry tanks an they have done a good job. They are good for bio filtration and not mechanical though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh, don't tell me that.... I just got an AC50 and have a prefilter for it for my 20g. I have heard though that most HOB filters will lose flow after a few months (or was it weeks) of use to a point, bit that it's completely normal.

If you want a sponge filter why not go for a Hydro 5, I have read Hydro sponge filters are the best and comparable to AC HOB filters. I have no first hand experience with them, just read a lot of reviews. They are so cheap ($15), you might as well get the 5 (recommended for 40-125g tanks depending on the pump you use). I'm sure that would cover it fine, but you might want to consider getting 2 smaller ones because I'm not sure how big they are and if the 5 is really big it could be an eye sore

Those prefilled sponges will def slow down flow of not kept clean. You should be giving them a good squeeze clean every few days.. the ac impellers can be easily removed and then clean out compartment with a qtip..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, the prefilter sponge definitely slows the flow a bit. But I tried removing it and the flow did increase but still not to where it was before. I do give it a thorough swish and squeeze in old tank water when I do water changes. Maybe it's time to completely swap it out for a fresh sponge. I'm probably overreacting. I've just had a lot of problems with my tank lately and I'm losing my patience! LOL.

Unfortunately, that's one thing this hobby requires A LOT of: Patience.

I'd like to hear thoughts on running a sponge filter as the primary filter on a 29 gallon tank. Is this a bad idea? I know they are underrated filters when it comes to bio filtration, but as I understand, they are just OK at mechanical filtration. Would I need to put in a fan to have some flow in the tank?

The only reason I ask is that I'm getting frustrated with the poor impeller design on my Aquaclear 50 HOB filter that I'm currently using on my 29 Gallon. I'm currently running it with a pre-filter sponge on the intake tube so the little fishes don't get sucked up. It's always had a rattle problem and now it's starting to lose flow. I have a replacement impeller on order, but if that doesn't fix the problem, I wanted to look for some other options.
How long has the AC been running???

It's been running for only a couple months. It seems like it's luck of the draw whether you get a good motor/impeller combo. I had an AC 30 before this that ran nice and smooth. I'm actually using the motor from my AC30. I'm hoping it's just some flaw in the impeller that I can't see.

I can't believe there isn't another "premium" HOB filter out there that has a reliable and quiet motor and impeller.

It's been running for only a couple months. It seems like it's luck of the draw whether you get a good motor/impeller combo. I had an AC 30 before this that ran nice and smooth. I'm actually using the motor from my AC30. I'm hoping it's just some flaw in the impeller that I can't see.

I can't believe there isn't another "premium" HOB filter out there that has a reliable and quiet motor and impeller.
It could be the centre pin is not so central anymore or try greasing the impella with Vaseline. I would try everything with the AC before going with a sponge filter.....

Yeah. After thinking about what I would have to do to actually change filtration methods I'm going to stay the course. Since I'm already so invested in the Aquaclear platform, I'm going to try everything I can. Thanks for letting me vent. LOL

Your Tank

Hello Right...

If you're willing to the change half the tank water twice a week, you really don't need a mechanical filtration system. Simple aeration by running a plastic tube attached to an air pump down the side of the tank and secured with a suction cup is all you need. The water change will maintain pure water conditions and the air pump the aeration.

Get some floating plants going like Hornwort, Anacharis and Pennywort and the fish will be fine indefinitely.

B

If you want to go with a sponge filter go with hydro sponge pro, I've used hydro sponge filters for years and have been happy. The hydro sponge pro is even better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom