Would an average dresser like this hold the weight of a 55 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dresser will hold it, but why would you ruin the dresser? Looks like a pretty nice one to me. If you set a tank on top of it and start doing water changes and adding fish, plants ect. You will end up with water sitting on the top of the dresser, it will get under the bottom of the tank and you will never get it dry and eventually it will ruin the finish on the dresser. Stands are much cheaper than dressers, I'd just go get a stand - look for a used one on Craig's list.

The thing is I work at Salvation Army thrift store where the dressers are only between $40 and up to like 200 if they're very nice and then if it's been on the floor for over a week I get it half off so the dresser for me is the cheaper way to go but I won't do it if it's not a good idea, I want to be safe not sorry

If it were a 20 or even a 29 gal, I'd say yes, but once your in the 40+ gal range, you probably get into weight that the top of dressers where not designed for.

From the picture, I would say that is a pretty nice dresser and is probably built from plywood. If it is, it will easily hold the weight of a 55gal tank. The only concern I might have would be with the pressure points created by the "feet" of the dresser. So long as the feet distribute the weight over several inches, this also should be no problem. If you go this route, I'd buy a clear polyurethane and add three or four coats to the top of the dresser, this will help prevent water damage.

Is it wood or laminate? Will probably be fine if wood. Sit on it and get a co worker to sit on it too. If it doesn't bend it should be fine. I just got a second hand wooden coffee table for my 55g. It's pine and does the job.

Agree with above, if its laminated pressboard, I'd pass. But then the stands you can buy are laminated pressboard as well ;).

I used a dresser with thick wood for my small tank, very sturdy! Was going to use it for my 55 gallon but found it had sagged in the middle and would not support evenly:facepalm:. Ended up having to build a new one after all:banghead:. You must make sure it will give equal support or your tank will crack.

I ended up going out and buying a stand at petsmart but just for future reference how hard is it to build your own? Keep in mind I'm only a little 22 year old girl lol..

building a simple 2x4 and plywood stand is easy, if you can measure and use a saw, even if you are "only a little 22year old girl" :p

Keep in mind I'm only a little 22 year old girl lol..

Don't sell yourself short. You are perfectly capable of learning to build a stand or any number of DIY projects. All you need is a good teacher. My father didn't let me move into my first apartment, at age 18, until he'd taught me basic electric, plumbing and carpentry. Those skills came in very handy when I was married to my ex-husband. :rolleyes:

I'd say sit on it if it holds then its good :p in a nice way, my fish tank stand is over 30 years old and has a good history behind it (it was used for marine fish then tropical then turtles then a bearded dragon then fish then left out side for a few years now in the process of being turned into a tropical tank again.) it still looks as good as new

Back
Top Bottom