Would like recommendations for HOB filter for 46 gallon community (FW)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyndaB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, sometime overnight, the impeller on my Fluval C4 got fried. So, I find myself in the market for a new filter for this tank. I don't want a canister for this particular tank, at this time, so it's going to be HOB.

I have liked the Fluval C4, no real issues with it, have had it for awhile. But I'm open for suggestions on what you like for a 46 community tank with fish on the smaller side (see sig). Perhaps there's a better choice for this tank than the C4.

Will be hitting the lfs after work today to make my purchase. All recommendations will be very welcome and I thank you for sharing your thoughts.

:thanks:

I really like aquaclear lynda! Simple and easy to fix if somthing happens, and a very good filter. There are lots of options as im sure you know. 10(i think), 50,70,110,500

Thanks for your thoughts. Hubby has the AC70 and he's really happy with it. It's on my short list. ;)

im sure aquaclear would be good. ive never owned one but I think many good things can be said about there filters. I like aqueon 55/75 models but they can kinda be on the noisy side..or when I cleaned mine thats what happened

Can you not buy a new impeller? I've never had a C series so idk. I have the U3 and the 405's. I'd say AquaClear. I have one and it's great. I did manage to crack it the first day because I picked it up at a weird angle. Other than than my filters are topfins from when I got the tank but I don't have problems with that either.
Other than AC, maybe a biowheel...but I've never liked them personally.

Oh and buy it on Amazon...much cheaper!!

I probably could buy a new impeller, however, my husband just reminded me of how clogged my filter all the time. It's almost like it doesn't process well, even though everything's in its place and properly utilized.

So...... the jury's still out.......

You could do an emperor 400. I have one on my 40 and the water is always crystal clear-always. Lol it's super powerful, but its kinda noisy. Then there's an aquaclear, super easy to take care of and I believe they sell all kinds of replacement parts for it. IMO, go with an aquaclear:) I've been wanting to try out the fluval HOB C series for a while now, but I'm also stuck between a C3 and an aquclear. Good luck!:D

I should've mentioned and, again, hubby just reminded me. No biowheels. We had an emperor originally on this 46 and the biowheels kept giving me problems. Took them and stuffed them into my canister on the 75 and they are very happy there, not spinning. :lol:

So, no biowheels. No cartridges that contain carbon. Hmmmmm, think that's it.

Thanks again everyone. You're very helpful.

LyndaB said:
I should've mentioned and, again, hubby just reminded me. No biowheels. We had an emperor originally on this 46 and the biowheels kept giving me problems. Took them and stuffed them into my canister on the 75 and they are very happy there, not spinning. :lol:

So, no biowheels. No cartridges that contain carbon. Hmmmmm, think that's it.

Thanks again everyone. You're very helpful.

Oh ok, sorry lol I'd say go with an AC 110 then:) what are you thinking about buying so far?

The 110 might be overkill on this tank. I don't want to blow my bamboo shrimp across the room. :ermm:

I might be leaning towards the AC 70.

LyndaB said:
The 110 might be overkill on this tank. I don't want to blow my bamboo shrimp across the room. :ermm:

I might be leaning towards the AC 70.

Whats in the tank? You could always do a 70, and if you ever add more stock stock on a 50

46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, wagtail platies, flame gourami

LyndaB said:
46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, wagtail platies, flame gourami

Doesnt sound like you have a high bioload at all! A 70 would be perfect

That's the thing I love about this tank. It's got really interesting species. It's a joy to watching all the fish schooling together, like a rainbow in constant motion and the shrimp are a riot and a half. All that for a low bioload. Yeah, I think I'm going with the 70.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions/opinions/sage wisdom.

Drum roll please....... :band:

I got the AC70.

And I got 5 turquoise rainbowfish for my larger tank....... :oops:

And they charged me $5.99 for all 5 instead of $5.99 each...... hubby spotted that little oops on the receipt a few hours after I got home..... (y)

LyndaB said:
Drum roll please....... :band:

I got the AC70.

And I got 5 turquoise rainbowfish for my larger tank....... :oops:

And they charged me $5.99 for all 5 instead of $5.99 each...... hubby spotted that little oops a few hours after I got home..... (y)

yay!!!!!!:D

Back
Top Bottom