Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-23-2008, 06:42 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Location: Tired of the mod power plays; gone to another forum
The biggest problem with those models is that the canisters are not clear. This has 2 effects. One, the plastic used for clear canisters is much stronger than the opaque canisters making them more easily cracked and/or the threads stripped. Secondly, and most important, you can't see the filter media to judge how dirty they are and when you should start considering replacing. You run the chance of waiting to long and having the media give back to some removal to the water or replacing too soon and driving up your end cost.

That being said, I am cheap and use this one : http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUA-SAFE-AQUARI...QQcmdZViewItem

tawolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
You can use a TDS meter to check the output of the water too. I think I read that SadieLynn or Lindsay stated those units now come with the clear plastic....Maybe they'll chime in.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went ahead and ordered the one for both reef and drinking water. It looks like it just had an extra filter. When it arrives I'll confirm if it has clear plastic.
dheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

I'm pretty sure that the clear plastic housing are more expensive and more brittle than than the opaque housings. I change my 10 micron sediment filter when I see it getting dirty. I change that filter several (4-6) times a year.

Your TDS meter is your best friend with any of the units. It lets you know when the DI filter needs to be replaced and when the membrane needs to be replaced.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:30 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Those units have smaller DI cartridges than more expensive units. This just means that the DI will be exhausted quicker. The 100 gpd membrane is also less efficient that the 75 gpd membrane. I think there is a 100+ membrane that has a 95% or more rejection rate like the 75 gpd membrane but the 100 gpd membranes typically have a 90% rejection rate. This also means that the DI will be used up faster.

Not saying that these units are bad but sometimes you can get a unit with better internals for a similar price. I started with a unit similar to that and now have clear canisters, a dual DI unit and a 75 gpd membrane. The clear canisters can be bought separately and are not more fragile than the others. It is nice to see how dirty your sediment filter really is.

*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:38 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

AirWaterIce now has a 150gpd (@65psi) membrane with a 98% rejection rate.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

ro/di, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com