Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Would you put a 25 gallon tank on a 10 gallon stand

THe tank is 24 in long and 13 in deep

The stand is metal. 21 in long and 11 deep from petco. No weight limit specified

Old 03-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did the tank come with the stand? A tank weighs on average 10 per gallon plus your substrate and decor. Just get a couple people to sit on it an if it holds it should be good. I have a 35 on a metal stand but they came together...
If you don't feel it's safe enough, could it be possible for you to strengthen?

Old 03-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry I didn't see it was a ten gallon stand. How would something 24 inches fit on a 16 or so stand?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

No. I'm assuming this is a standard glass aquarium and a standard stand. Most glass aquariums are designed to have weight bearing on the rim, not the bottom glass. Doing so is likely to blow out the bottom glass. If you can somehow increase the surface area on the stand top so that the weight will transfer from the rim to the new stand platform and then to the stand legs, you'd probably be okay. Whatever you use for a platform will need to be rigid and secured to the original stand so it cannot bow into the bottom glass of the tank.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the advice

Wow. The bottom blowing out sounds horrific!

Very insightful about the rim supporting the weight

I may try to fasten some thick plywood to meet the dimensions of the tank. Hopefully that may work
Old 03-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gish View Post
THe tank is 24 in long and 13 in deep

The stand is metal. 21 in long and 11 deep from petco. No weight limit specified
I'll be the first to admit that I suck at math..... but explain to me again how a 24 x 13 tank will fit into a 21 x 11 space?
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
I'll be the first to admit that I suck at math..... but explain to me again how a 24 x 13 tank will fit into a 21 x 11 space?
I think it would be fitting onto the stand which gives me a horrible vision of the bottom glass busting out and the ensuing disaster that it would cause. There are a couple options to make it work but there would be balance issues which is also not good. IMO you should invest in another stand
skywhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB

Someone else is thinking the same lol. I wouldn't try it. If the stand is for a 10g I would say it's good for around 150lbs you could use some cylinder blocks to set it on if you don't care about looks and is for a fish room...
Old 03-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok. You all have convinced me that this is not a good idea. I guess I'll shell out some $$ to get the right sized stand. Thx
Old 03-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you for not making me do more math..... or at least, attempt to do more math.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, 25 gallon, 5 gallon, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com