Would you put a 25 gallon tank on a 10 gallon stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gish

Aquarium Advice Freak
THe tank is 24 in long and 13 in deep

The stand is metal. 21 in long and 11 deep from petco. No weight limit specified

Did the tank come with the stand? A tank weighs on average 10 per gallon plus your substrate and decor. Just get a couple people to sit on it an if it holds it should be good. I have a 35 on a metal stand but they came together...
If you don't feel it's safe enough, could it be possible for you to strengthen?

Sorry I didn't see it was a ten gallon stand. How would something 24 inches fit on a 16 or so stand?

No. I'm assuming this is a standard glass aquarium and a standard stand. Most glass aquariums are designed to have weight bearing on the rim, not the bottom glass. Doing so is likely to blow out the bottom glass. If you can somehow increase the surface area on the stand top so that the weight will transfer from the rim to the new stand platform and then to the stand legs, you'd probably be okay. Whatever you use for a platform will need to be rigid and secured to the original stand so it cannot bow into the bottom glass of the tank.

Thanks for the advice

Wow. The bottom blowing out sounds horrific!

Very insightful about the rim supporting the weight

I may try to fasten some thick plywood to meet the dimensions of the tank. Hopefully that may work

The stand is metal. 21 in long and 11 deep from petco. No weight limit specified

I'll be the first to admit that I suck at math..... but explain to me again how a 24 x 13 tank will fit into a 21 x 11 space? :hide:

I'll be the first to admit that I suck at math..... but explain to me again how a 24 x 13 tank will fit into a 21 x 11 space? :hide:

I think it would be fitting onto the stand which gives me a horrible vision of the bottom glass busting out and the ensuing disaster that it would cause. There are a couple options to make it work but there would be balance issues which is also not good. IMO you should invest in another stand :)

LyndaB said:

Someone else is thinking the same lol. I wouldn't try it. If the stand is for a 10g I would say it's good for around 150lbs you could use some cylinder blocks to set it on if you don't care about looks and is for a fish room...

Ok. You all have convinced me that this is not a good idea. I guess I'll shell out some $$ to get the right sized stand. Thx

Thank you for not making me do more math..... or at least, attempt to do more math. :ermm:

Atleast you won't be afraid of waking up to a broken tank. Worst thing ever. It's not suppose to rain inside is it? Un oh lol

cant give up just yet

664255001757A.jpg
20.9" L X 11" W X 27.8" H
For 10 gallon Aquariums
SKU: 1384538

could I just attach a larger piece of shelving/plywood to the top of this to create enough surface area for a bigger tank? I think the metal frame is quite sturdy.

has anyone ever really had their tank explode?

664255001757A.jpg
20.9" L X 11" W X 27.8" H
For 10 gallon Aquariums
SKU: 1384538

could I just attach a larger piece of shelving/plywood to the top of this to create enough surface area for a bigger tank? I think the metal frame is quite sturdy.

has anyone ever really had their tank explode?

You would really be pressing your luck. I wouldn't do it. If you decide to go for it, we'd all appreciate if you'd keep your camera real handy..... :popcorn:

Unless the edges and corners of the tank is completely supported by the stand ... don't even bother. From your numbers, if you center everything accordingly, you're leaving 1.5 inches of length and 1 inch of depth on each side unsupported. The weight of the water is distributed to the outer edges so which is why you want all edges to be properly supported.

Stands are not an area you want to skimp on ... One time I cursed like mad when I spilled a gallon of milk on the floor ... took a lot of paper towels, I'd hate to think of 10gal or more.

I wouldn't do it with that stand, but we augmented the top of our stand to fit a bigger tank.

Attachments

• DSC00814.jpg
    DSC00814.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 67
don- where did you find that piece of wood? what type is that. how thick is it? don't worry I'm not going to risk putting it on my metal stand. the members here have talked some sense into me.

It's only 3/4" but solid pine. Shrink wrapped 'project board' or something like that at Lowes. Instead of a single wide plank it's made of many smaller pieces edge glued together. There was also some 1.5" thick stuff but not in a large enough dimension for me.
It's screwed to the original top with about 6 wood screws. Treated with Danish Oil & paste wax. Holding up well so far.

- D

Back
Top Bottom