Wrong silicone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dwohlge1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I ha to reseal the top lid of a 5 gallon I just purchased. I bought silicone but I am now reading the back and noticed, "not for use below the water line, , where FDA compliance is necessary, or aquariums".

Attachments

• image-472295395.jpg
    image-472295395.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 73
as long as it doesnt say anything about mildew proof fungicide bioseal or anything like that your good as long as you allow a week or so to cure

greaver83 said:
as long as it doesnt say anything about mildew proof fungicide bioseal or anything like that your good as long as you allow a week or so to cure

Yeah I made sure t didn't have any of that. The directions state 24 hour to cure, do I really have to wait a week?

Thanks in advance for the help

greaver83 said:
i would at least give it 48 hours so be sure it was fully cured

I want to make sure it isn't going to poison any fish I add. Why do a lot of posts suggest the GE 1?

Wanted to add this is the seal for the plastic lid there wasn't enough manufacturer glue so it was leaking where the top of the acrylic was seated into the lid. I pulled it off and cleaned it. Stuffed it with Silicone and reattached.

I get the 100% silicon. I don't know about this brand though. If it says not for use in aquariums, I wouldn't use it.

And I would give it a few days. Better safe than sorry.

So any suggestions on how to remove the silicone from inside the joining piece?

Hmmm a lot of items I am reading state this is fine. GE recently changed their label for this product as a precaution.

A lot of resources state as long as it is clear, window door, 100% silicone without mildew protection I hold be fine.

I wonder how I could test this to end the debate?

Also I am going to by Aquarium silicone from now on, i don't like this guess work

I would have no clue how to test it without sacrificing a fish. Or maybe send it off to a lab to be tested? That might be a little extreme though.

Eh picked up some aquarium safe silicone at Ace. Removed the old put the new on.

I am having no luck with this 5 gallon. I am about to toss it in the garbage.

Back
Top Bottom