Wrought iron stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Personally I don' like the wrought Iron stands because they concentrate all that weight on very small surface area. If it were going on cement it would be another story, I like a stand to distribute the entire weight of the tank evenly across the floor it's resting on.

Auto Body/mechanic? I noticed a spray gun as well.
Yeah just a college job I work part time for a local shop pretty much when he gets overwhelmed (often). I go in to bail him out and take a cut works out pretty good I have keys to the shop so he tells me what needs to be done then I go do it whenever I want (usually late night) and he's happy and I'm happy.
Personally I don' like the wrought Iron stands because they concentrate all that weight on very small surface area. If it were going on cement it would be another story, I like a stand to distribute the entire weight of the tank evenly across the floor it's resting on.
I'm not a big fan either plus they don't do much in the aesthetics department.

Yeah just a college job I work part time for a local shop pretty much when he gets overwhelmed (often). I go in to bail him out and take a cut works out pretty good I have keys to the shop so he tells me what needs to be done then I go do it whenever I want (usually late night) and he's happy and I'm happy.

I'm not a big fan either plus they don't do much in the aesthetics department.
That's a good deal you have there. I agree, after putting all the time, effort and money into your tank at the end it better look good.

That's a good deal you have there. I agree, after putting all the time, effort and money into your tank at the end it better look good.
It's working pretty good for me, plus he doesn't mind me working on side jobs/my own stuff at his shop which is a big plus can't quite fit a spray booth and frame rack in my shop on the property. I just realized that it's kind of funny that I'm going for a degree in computer science while working at a body shop.

As far as the stand sure I like saving a buck but to me that's not the way I mean for the money you would spend on that cheesy stand I could make a stronger, safer, and better looking stand.

I too went to college for computer science and now help develop and install Fire Alarm sytems for high rise commercial applications. Life is funny like that.

I agree with you on the stand, after reading ziggy943's build I decided to by the stand from the manufacturer for the 120 and refinished it to my liking, doing so also extended the warranty on the from 10 to 20 years and best of all it wasn't that expensive.

I too went to college for computer science and now help develop and install Fire Alarm sytems for high rise commercial applications. Life is funny like that.

I agree with you on the stand, after reading ziggy943's build I decided to by the stand from the manufacturer for the 120 and refinished it to my liking, doing so also extended the warranty on the from 10 to 20 years and best of all it wasn't that expensive.
Indeed it tis' I've also had a fascination with taking things apart to understand them and put them back together better than before, which has led me to where I am today.

I rarely get something like that and leave it stock I buy things knowing as soon as I get home it's getting Daved lol. So I feel ya on the refinishing the manufacturers stand.

razorbacks fan, nice setup you have... i have always loved snap-on, matco, mack, and cornwell tools... i like miller welders better than anything, never used a snapon... have you got any plans for a 55gal stand anywhere? i keep seeing different ones on these diy websites, none of them are the same, and none of them really look that sturdy...

I just realized that it's kind of funny that I'm going for a degree in computer science while working at a body shop.

the more diverse your skills/talents the more opportunities you have in the job market/world.

i find the iron stands are just fine. a nice table cloth or some fabric draped over it before you put the tank on it makes it look real nice. 3/4 inch plywood subfloor does a good job of distributing the weight load over the joists. i've driven 1200 pound scissor lifts over 3/4 ply with out any ill affects. if you're worried about marring the floor with the feet just cut a small plywood square and put that under the foot. would the iron stand made by the aquarium manufacturer extend the warranty?

razorbacks fan, nice setup you have... i have always loved snap-on, matco, mack, and cornwell tools... i like miller welders better than anything, never used a snapon... have you got any plans for a 55gal stand anywhere? i keep seeing different ones on these diy websites, none of them are the same, and none of them really look that sturdy...
Thanks it's nice having the tools for just about anything. I'm going to be designing and building a stand for a 55 pretty soon I'll share the plans when I have them drawn up.
the more diverse your skills/talents the more opportunities you have in the job market/world.

i find the iron stands are just fine. a nice table cloth or some fabric draped over it before you put the tank on it makes it look real nice. 3/4 inch plywood subfloor does a good job of distributing the weight load over the joists. i've driven 1200 pound scissor lifts over 3/4 ply with out any ill affects. if you're worried about marring the floor with the feet just cut a small plywood square and put that under the foot. would the iron stand made by the aquarium manufacturer extend the warranty?
I'm pretty diverse alright lol. As far as driving over over the ply wood was it just on the ground?

no it was a plywood floor during construction of a church with a very high ceiling. i cant remember what the joist spacing was though. we've also have used it as ramps to get the lifts up onto the sidewalk.

no it was a plywood floor during construction of a church with a very high ceiling. i cant remember what the joist spacing was though. we've also have used it as ramps to get the lifts up onto the sidewalk.
Oh ok and I do agree that 3/4" plywood is some strong stuff, then again a lot of 3/4" paneling is i.e MDF.

They each have there advantages for certain situations. As far as MDF and water if properly coated there will be no problem with water. I would never use bare MDF around an aquarium.
I know people who have and it wasn't pretty. Either way I don't like MDF period.

I've built a lot of speaker enclosures and MDF is the best choice so I have a bit of a soft spot for it. It's **** on tools but it is heaven for speakers.
That's a different story and i definitely understand you, but for anything having to do with structural, weight bearing or moist location applications I stay as far away as possible.

I came upon some FREE oak timber a while back... they are 1x4, 1x6, 1x8, 2x4, 2x6, 4x4, and 4x6... i also have some that are planed down to around 1/4x5... im thinking about building a stand for one of mine with that... its seasoned oak, been sitting in a barn for a long time... think that would make a pretty stand (and sturdy)

I came upon some FREE oak timber a while back... they are 1x4, 1x6, 1x8, 2x4, 2x6, 4x4, and 4x6... i also have some that are planed down to around 1/4x5... im thinking about building a stand for one of mine with that... its seasoned oak, been sitting in a barn for a long time... think that would make a pretty stand (and sturdy)
I think that would make an excellent material for the stand, can't argue with the the price either especially for oak.;)

Back
Top Bottom