X-10 automation and reef tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skennelly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anybody use X-10 to control their tank? I am checking out the firecracker interface on X-10.com and I am considering buying it to control powerheads like a wave maker and also my lights.

If I do this I am going to build my own software for it.

Anybody have any good experience with this type of thing with aquariums.

Firecracker interface -> 39.99
4 Modules -> @13.99 each

www.x-10.com

Any input will be appreciated......I am going to decide today if I buy it or not.

That's not a bad idea. I'll be interested to hear how it works out for you. That sort of setup could lead to other cool things. One idea that comes to mind is an auto-topoff that is triggered by an actual increase in salinity rather than just the water level dropping. This would require some digital hydrometer that could connect to a PC though.

That would be cool! However at this point I'm going to keep it simple and just worry about the wave maker and lighting functionality.

I need somebody to chime in with info about the firecracker interface for x-10 modules. And if they are reliable.

Thanks,

I've used X-10 systems for over 25 years. The appliance modules AM466 and the activehome is what you want. I just aquired a 180 Gal reef tank. It came with a octopus 3000 system and it uses the X-10 modules. I think they are greate. I have remotes at all my tanks so I can turn off the filters and wave makers while feeding. If I forget to turn them back on the X-10 system won't. I simulate sunrise, daytime, and sunset. Any questions post a reply and I'll get back to you.

High tech or low tech use what works best!

I've heard and read so many different stories since the thought of using x10 came into my mind.

Yesterday I placed an order for the ActiveHome Pro system and following that did some more research and everything I read said that ActiveHome was the worst system out there and their customer service is terrible also. It scared me, so I cancelled the order and opted to do some more research before I make a purchase. This is the system I was going to get.

ActiveHome Pro CM15A controller - $49.00
3 appliance modules - 13.99 each

I'm thinking about ordering the firecracker since its pretty cheap just to play with it. If it works great, if not not that big of a deal.

Do you have pictures of your x10 system from activehome?

Done that already :)......big difference in the Pro software, but I initially planned on writing my own software to interface with the controller. I may still do that if the Active Pro doesn't do what I want. I write software for a living so not a big deal.

I've read quite a bit of posts on different gadget forums that say the active home pro software is crap and it locks up and causes havock with your PC.

For the $50 bucks I paid for it, it will be worth it just to play with it if it doesn't work right away. I'm optimistic though.

Back
Top Bottom