xp2, burping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After filter maintainance today my xp2 has started doing this weird "burping" thing. Every 15-20 minutes it expels a bunch of air. The canister itself never completely filled, it stopped about 1" from the top of the clear part. I'm pretty sure this is normal because I think I remember noticing it once before, but maybe not... Anyone else ever encounter this?

yeah, this happens to mine everytime that I do maintenance on them (I have 3) - basically a bubble of air is trapped near the impeller and is slowly being expelled.

Once you get the xp running, trying doing a little rocking/shake to it, and that should allow most, if not all, of the air to escape. HTH

Mine has randomly leaked 3 times.
Not sure why.
I bought and replaced all of the seals.

I think I might have had a bit of pressure on the hose, it was pushing on the quick change assembly.

Another thing is if you have a planted tank, and your plants are pearling heavily, the canisters will burp often as well. Mine only seems to burp when my plants are really pearling, and the water is so saturated with O2. But no harm is done.

Renas also need the rubber gaskets replaced every couple of years. That could be where the air is coming in.

Back
Top Bottom