XP2 Cannister Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JHawk

Aquarium Advice Activist
This question is for Rena Filstar cannister filter users.

1. I'm running the XP2's on both of my tanks & I like them :wink:

2. I recently added the ceramic rings to both filters. I also installed an "in-line" heater on one of the tanks.

3. I've since noticed that there seems to be air getting in the filters on both tanks. There are no airstones, etc. next to the intake tube. From the outside of the filter, you can notice a pocket of air at the top. (Perhaps an inch or so) It makes the filter a little on the noisy side.

4. The way I have been resolving it. I turn it off & pull up on of the "latches" on the side of the filter, maintaining some force down with my other hand so water doesn't squirt out everywhere, until the water level goes back to the top & I quickly re-latch it. It seems to work but it's becoming a daily or so procedure.

5. Anyone else having or had this problem? Any potential causes? The owners manual is very vague. It's odd because I have not had any problems until just recently.

Jhawk

It's odd because I have not had any problems until just recently.

Have you changed anything recently? When did you add the heater? Could there be something around the rim of the filter or cover that is breaking the seal? Since it is happening fairly often, I would look at all the joints and connections in the system to see if any of them are slowly leaking air into the filter.

I would say that either your connection, or gasket somewhere is not completely sealed. you might want to check all the connections and the main gasket. my guess is that there is a piece of dirt, and rock that is preventing the gasket from sealing. I use an xp3, and it is a quiet as can be, and I haven't had any problems with is. :wink:

Thanks for all the quick replys. :D

I will double check all connections. It's weird because it's happening to both filters! Like I said, I just added the ceramic rings to both. That's the only thing. The inline heater is nice & tight on the one tank.

like everyone said, check all the gaskets. make sure to use clamps on the hose barbs, make sure that there is not too much media so that it is pushing on the filter top.

Lots of people see the XP's not fully fill with water when priming. Sometimes it corrects itself by burping through the return..sometimes not.

To avoid this complete, I fill it manually with water after I clean it, then snap the lid on so it's 100% full. Always starts, doesn't build up air inside.

As for fluvals...no thanks. Very bad track record, even if they did re-design them this year.

malkore said:
As for fluvals...no thanks. Very bad track record, even if they did re-design them this year.

I can only speak for the new ones, but its the best filter I've owned in 10 years of keeping fish without a question.

Tony Starks said:
malkore said:

I can only speak for the new ones, but its the best filter I've owned in 10 years of keeping fish without a question.

I second that, particularly in comparison with the Magnum cansiter I used to have which was one nightmare after another.

For a 55g tank, I think the Fluval 304 ($70 at Big Al's) is your best buy. If you have extra cash, get a UV like I did (another $80) and hook them together. Instant crystal clear water!

Just had the same problem with XP3 , the main seal had some slime on it , wiped off with corner of paper towel and all was well.

and

Lots of people see the XP's not fully fill with water when priming. Sometimes it corrects itself by burping through the return..sometimes not.

To avoid this complete, I fill it manually with water after I clean it, then snap the lid on so it's 100% full. Always starts, doesn't build up air inside.

I did both and my problems seem to have gone away. Thanks for the tips!
:D

Back
Top Bottom