XP3, pebble in motor sound???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all I just installed my XP3 into my 45 gallon tank, but for some reason there is a sound like a pebble is stuck in the motor. The sound is definately coming from the motor, but I have not a clue what it is.. even after looking through it all... does anyone know how to fix this!?!? 8O

Impellers sound like that when they run dry or have a lot of air.
I don't have one or know anything about them but my emperor will sound that way if I remove the tube and put it back on.

I would think it needs to be primed more but don't know how. they say self priming but I would make sure theres water in the intake tube if thats possible.
I'll research it for you.

thanks so much... I have no idea.. supposedly I primed it.. but poo... thanks for looking into it.. hate being a newb at canister filters :p

Just found a picture of the insides. Can you see air bubbles going up the outlet tube? Impeller is at the top which seems susceptable to air coming up from the media if just replaced.

the wierd thing is this though... when I first turn it on.. it doesn't make the noise.. only that which is pushing the air out.. then afetr like 30 seconds it starts making the noise..

hmm I can find nothing on the subject elsewhere either. I'm in the chat roon with justdiy I'll kick him see if hes awake. He knows the principles of water pumps.

Go to chat its a link at the top of page>

Go to the chat room. Use the link at the top of the page. A real time discussioon will be better for this.

Do you make sure that there is not any water in the outflow tube and spray bar (if you are using that) before you fill? You also need to make sure the flow valve (if you are using that) is fully open so all of the air can escape. Then open the valve on the lid and let it fill from the bottom, forcing the air out of the outflow tube. Mine has a similar problem but it does seem to be air. I get good results by tipping the unit a bit back and forth, as well, if it is indeed an air problem. There could be a bit of crud in the impeller itself, and as I have never disassembled mine so far I am not sure how to go about doing that. Good luck, and let us know what works!

Electrobes worked out his problem it was small carbon bits floating up. He went to chat and used the collective problem solving skills of the group. viva la aa.com

Thanks :D - Just as a warning should anyone search this topic about the XP3.. when looking for a motor problem.. look at the impeller AND what around it.. thats how I found the problem.. the chips are carbon on the ciecle around the impeller, not on the impeller itself.

Electrobes it is good that you found the problem, it is something that we can keep for future referance or maybe someone who has a XP3 could do a good and the bad about it. I only sell them, i'm a Eheim person myself.

Back
Top Bottom