Yet another skimmer thread, need advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so I have some skimmer issues. lol

I have a couple tanks but would like to keep the skimmers in place on the other tanks so I can't swap skimmers around like i am used to.

The 60g rimless should be going back up in a few days and the skimmer i was using, an eshopps in sump psk150 seems to have either a bad impeller or pump, can;t determine which. It;s out of warranty of course. :-(
I can get a new impeller for I think $30 or a new pump for $52. I was running this skimmer on my 125g reef tank and it did an excellent job, so much so that i bought another one and its running under my 90g. :)

I guess the issue comes into play in that I will have very very little room under the 60g, even with the new stand I am getting. The new stand is only taller, not wider so I still have issues with the sump as well. I have been looking around at skimmers and found this one

Tunze Comline DOC Protein Skimmer

The one I found is $170 used but in immaculate shape, its regularly $286 so its quite the deal.

I can find the money for the new skimmer but should I? I know I hated working in the sump before with the eshopps full size skimmer under the 60g so i anticipate that it will suck still.

Anyone have any opinions or thoughts? Kinda need an answer soon yes or no but just can;t decide. lol

Sorry for this being sooooo long, its like 6 am and I'm rambling! LOL

LOL, so it shows 42 people so far have read this thread but no one has any opinions? lol

Still on the fence here so any input is good. I am now leaning towards the new/used tunze over fixing the old skimmer. Or is that just a waste of money?

Sorry carey, if I knew more about skimmers I would help. I don't know how good the tunze is compared to the eshopps, but if it was me, I'd opt for the new versus used because it's very simple to clean something up when trying to sell it. That said compared to the problems you had with the eshopps I would go for the new tunze and later on buy the parts needed for the eshopp for a backup in case one fails

Thanks for the response, was thinking I was talking to myself. LOL

Yeah, I had alot if issues with the eshopps as far as getting in and out of the stand. The skimmer itself is awesome, when its working that is. I';ve never used a tunze skimmer before so I have no reference point to compare it. The skimmer is expensive and usually tunze makes a top notch product so it should be a good one. Definitely should be easier to manuever inside the stand.

Then I'd go for the tunze for sure. But the parts for the eshopps and save it as a back up in case one by any chance does fail! I've heard tunze is pretty good but no personal experience. I don't even have a sw tank. I just learn from reading alot!

lol, well thanks for taking the time to post back. :)

Yeah, unless someone has any negative thoughts about the tunze i think I am gonna pick it up.

My LFS reccomends reef octopus. Funny because they dont sell them lol. I got a classic NWB 200. Havent used it yet

I had a nwb octopus and while it worked ok I liked the eshopps ones better and they have a smaller footprint than the octopus too so they fit almost anywhere. :_)

It's funny that I don't care for them yet everyone else has spectacular results with them, go figure lol

I cant wait to use mine. I think ill be ready to fill tank on saturday.

Good for you! Its always such a thrill to set up a new tank, I must have started 30 tanks in the last couple years. I run them for a few months or years and then move on to another tank build. Best part of a build is right before you setup and the next best time is stocking the first few critters. :)

did you ever get a response to your Skimmer I'm starting a 50 cube reef & wanted to know what would be a good Skimmer for in the sump.

I just bought the tunze one yesterday. I'm hoping it will be as good as the reef octopus or the eshopps. "-)

For a 50g I would be looking at other options, the tunze I picked up is for a 155g tank. LOL I only got it cause of its size as it has to fit into a 16g tank.

Have you looked at the reef octopus skimmers? Or even the eshopps psk 100?

As for your dilemma about the tunze vs the eshoppes, The tunze's air draw is 500 liters per hour, and the sk-400(psk-150) draws 450 liters, so I would think the tunze is slightly better.

Back
Top Bottom