You Know What Bugs Me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
...the fact that the tank package I purchased some five or so months ago -- the Marineland 60 Gallon "Heartland Ensemble" -- actually comes equipped with dual hoods that DON'T allow proper fitting for Marineland's OWN recommended HOB filters for this aquarium...:banghead::banghead::banghead:

From all reports I've read online, the Emperor I believe it is filter that Marineland suggests (of course, because the tank was made by them too :rolleyes:) for this setup won't allow the hood lights to be able to be accessed, requiring DIY relocating of the switches or going with other filters altogether -- for what it's worth, I already had an Aqueon QuietFlow 55 and AquaClear 110 from a previous setup that cracked and leaked, so I didn't need new filters...but my question is this:

Is it, essentially, okay to use a different-branded filter than the brand that's attached to my tank? In other words, no one HAS to use a Marineland filter on a Marineland tank, right?

...the fact that the tank package I purchased some five or so months ago -- the Marineland 60 Gallon "Heartland Ensemble" -- actually comes equipped with dual hoods that DON'T allow proper fitting for Marineland's OWN recommended HOB filters for this aquarium...:banghead::banghead::banghead:

From all reports I've read online, the Emperor I believe it is filter that Marineland suggests (of course, because the tank was made by them too :rolleyes:) for this setup won't allow the hood lights to be able to be accessed, requiring DIY relocating of the switches or going with other filters altogether -- for what it's worth, I already had an Aqueon QuietFlow 55 and AquaClear 110 from a previous setup that cracked and leaked, so I didn't need new filters...but my question is this:

Is it, essentially, okay to use a different-branded filter than the brand that's attached to my tank? In other words, no one HAS to use a Marineland filter on a Marineland tank, right?

Thats really annoying that it doesnt fit :p! And to answer your question, you can use any filter on your tank! If you buy a marineland tank, you definitely don't need to use their filters! Just use the 2 filters that you already own, they will provide excellent filtration for it!

Thats really annoying that it doesnt fit :p! And to answer your question, you can use any filter on your tank! If you buy a marineland tank, you definitely don't need to use their filters! Just use the 2 filters that you already own, they will provide excellent filtration for it!

Hello 'marine and thank you very much for the prompt reply.

Indeed, take a look at these reports from owners of this package when you get a chance to see what I'm talking about with regard to the filters not "fitting":

60 Gallon Aquarium » Marineland® 60 Gallon Heartland Aquarium Ensemble | PetSmart

As for me, I actually wasn't planning on getting any Marineland "recommended" filters because I already had the Aqueon and Hagen AquaClears...but I was just wondering if it was "okay" that I'm not running the same brand of filters as the brand that makes the tank...which I think you answered for me...:)

Hello 'marine and thank you very much for the prompt reply.

Indeed, take a look at these reports from owners of this package when you get a chance to see what I'm talking about with regard to the filters not "fitting":

60 Gallon Aquarium » Marineland® 60 Gallon Heartland Aquarium Ensemble | PetSmart

As for me, I actually wasn't planning on getting any Marineland "recommended" filters because I already had the Aqueon and Hagen AquaClears...but I was just wondering if it was "okay" that I'm not running the same brand of filters as the brand that makes the tank...which I think you answered for me...:)

Well thats actually kind of pitiful that they recommended a filter and it doesn't even fit :p! And yup its definitely fine, all my tanks have filters that are different brands than the tank themselves :D So its all good! It's really just your personal preference on what filter you like, get any filter you want and don't worry about the tank brand.

No worries about using different brands. However, you would think marineland would have optimized their hood to make sure their filter would fit better than any other brand. Seems like a bit of a design flaw if you ask me! I have marineland filters on two tanks of unknown brand. Actually, I had to modify one of the filters to fit on my 56 gallon as the filter is wider than the openings on either side of the center brace.

No worries about using different brands.

Thanks Al...(y)

However, you would think marineland would have optimized their hood to make sure their filter would fit better than any other brand. Seems like a bit of a design flaw if you ask me! I have marineland filters on two tanks of unknown brand. Actually, I had to modify one of the filters to fit on my 56 gallon as the filter is wider than the openings on either side of the center brace.

My sentiments exactly regarding the Marineland filters not being able to fit in these hoods; here, take a look at some of these owner's comments that discuss the "alterations" that had to be made on these hoods:

:nono: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom