You may think I am clueless!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amisafish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a new fish owner and I didn't think about all of the responsibility and the certain equipment you need for you fish to survive.. So with that being said, I have a few questions! (Since I'm new) 1- should I keep the filter on 24/7?? 2-how much fish flakes should I feed my female betta? 3- what would be the easiest way of cycling my tank?

1 yes, leave your filter on
2 less than you think. As much as she eats in 20-30 seconds
3 getting used filter media from an established tank.

Welcome to AA. You're smart enough to ask questions and know about cycling. That's a great start.

I am a new fish owner and I didn't think about all of the responsibility and the certain equipment you need for you fish to survive.. So with that being said, I have a few questions! (Since I'm new) 1- should I keep the filter on 24/7?? 2-how much fish flakes should I feed my female betta? 3- what would be the easiest way of cycling my tank?

1) I run mine about 20 odd hours a day. It goes off for a few hours at feeding time at night. On occasion I've forgotten to turn them back on until next morning (tank is fully cycled) and had no problems.

3) I still think fish less as I have a large tank and buckets sucketh. Are you doing fish less or fish in?

1) I run mine about 20 odd hours a day. It goes off for a few hours at feeding time at night. On occasion I've forgotten to turn them back on until next morning (tank is fully cycled) and had no problems.

3) I still think fish less as I have a large tank and buckets sucketh. Are you doing fish less or fish in?

May I ask why you don't leave your filter running 24/7? :huh:

May I ask why you don't leave your filter running 24/7? :huh:

Sure, they go off at feeding time and I allow a few hours for the fish to hunt around although even the wafers are gone after 20mins.

Probably a few hours is overkill but I figure it gives the fish a bit of a break as one of the canisters has a pretty decent flow. No science to that though :)

Sure, they go off at feeding time and I allow a few hours for the fish to hunt around although even the wafers are gone after 20mins.

Probably a few hours is overkill but I figure it gives the fish a bit of a break as one of the canisters has a pretty decent flow. No science to that though :)

Interesting, I presumed it was to prevent food getting sucked in. If it works for you then why not :)

Interesting, I presumed it was to prevent food getting sucked in. If it works for you then why not :)

Oh that to as well, sorry - yes usually I make sure they are all off for at least an hour. I was testing an auto-feeder before holidays and it fired off but I didn't have the timers right and just watched the pellets drop down and start to get sucked around to intake pipes. Funny watching the fish sprint after them though and pull up a cm away from the intake pipe. I'm thinking of stuffing two wool filter pads in the worse one to try and slow it down a bit.

Oh that to as well, sorry - yes usually I make sure they are all off for at least an hour. I was testing an auto-feeder before holidays and it fired off but I didn't have the timers right and just watched the pellets drop down and start to get sucked around to intake pipes. Funny watching the fish sprint after them though and pull up a cm away from the intake pipe. I'm thinking of stuffing two wool filter pads in the worse one to try and slow it down a bit.

Do they not have adjustable valves on them? Yeah polishing pads of some kind should buffer it a little bit at least. I would say you could plug your filter in to the a timer set to the same time as the auto feeder.

I use the Eheim auto feeder in my turtles tank as I'm regularly away from home for a month at a time. Works quite well :)

Do they not have adjustable valves on them? Yeah polishing pads of some kind should buffer it a little bit at least. I would say you could plug your filter in to the a timer set to the same time as the auto feeder.

I use the Eheim auto feeder in my turtles tank as I'm regularly away from home for a month at a time. Works quite well :)

Sounds nice :)

Unfortunately not really adjustable, just aqua one canisters. One is fine, the other a little too high flow - although water clarity has improved lol. I thought it would slow down but still going strong.

Options a little limited here on equipment but I got the second canister through the post (went cheap just in case) and it made it so starting to trust the post more. Amazing, the postal cost was about $50 Australian but it still ended up 2/3 price compared to lfs.

Left the auto-feeder to last second and finally found two in the third lfs I tried. The one I picked seems to work ok but it kind of worries me when you can only find two in an entire store. No-one must leave their fish over holidays or something.

Unfortunately not really adjustable, just aqua one canisters. One is fine, the other a little too high flow - although water clarity has improved lol. I thought it would slow down but still going strong.

Options a little limited here on equipment but I got the second canister through the post (went cheap just in case) and it made it so starting to trust the post more. Amazing, the postal cost was about $50 Australian but it still ended up 2/3 price compared to lfs.

Left the auto-feeder to last second and finally found two in the third lfs I tried. The one I picked seems to work ok but it kind of worries me when you can only find two in an entire store. No-one must leave their fish over holidays or something.
A lot of people use feeder blocks whilst they're away rather than continuing to feed them pellets/flakes.

Yeah part of my family lives in Germany (I live in the UK), I'm on holiday there now for Christmas. I wanted to get another Fluval 406, in the UK it would cost me £129 because I know the owner of my LFS. Ordered one from a German company shipped to my UK address for £95. Logic? Haha

Unfortunately not really adjustable, just aqua one canisters. One is fine, the other a little too high flow - although water clarity has improved lol. I thought it would slow down but still going strong. .
Perhaps a spray bar might help with the output.
OP - if you have any more questions, just fire away.

Back
Top Bottom