Your opinion of Nano-Cube HQI Aquarium 29 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyfromlawrenceville

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Gang,
The wife has the fever for her own aquarium:-?, wants one in our bedroom:cool:. What are the pros and cons of this 29gal HQI by JBL.
Temp problems w 150 watt halide ?
Noise level of fans and skimmer etc in the bedroom?
Any help and advice you can give will help me make a good choice with this.
Thanks in advance. She plans to make this a reef tank with many corals and a few fish.

:(Please don't flame me for posting here, as I understand the nano forum is for under 20 gal, unless you feel it would be best answered there.

Please don't flame me for posting here, as I understand the nano forum is for under 20 gal, unless you feel it would be best answered there.

haha don't worry about it. just about every one is friendly here.

I didn't have the HQI but i did have the normal jbj nano in my bedroom and the fans a quiet.

Hi Gang,
The wife has the fever for her own aquarium:-?, wants one in our bedroom:cool:. What are the pros and cons of this 29gal HQI by JBL.
Temp problems w 150 watt halide ?
Noise level of fans and skimmer etc in the bedroom?
Any help and advice you can give will help me make a good choice with this.
Thanks in advance. She plans to make this a reef tank with many corals and a few fish.

:(Please don't flame me for posting here, as I understand the nano forum is for under 20 gal, unless you feel it would be best answered there.

i have 1 and im fairly pleassed. im assuming u mean the 28gal HQI by JBJ
temp is a slight problem for me. w/ out any mods, at the end of a day it gets into the low-mid 80's. so like 83-84. with some fans on the back i think it would be better. as for the noise, not bad, the fans are the only noisy thing and they are still only a light sound. my advice, get some clip on fans for the back, pitch the clip on thing for the skimmer, replace filter media with LR and other stuff, also you might want to fill up the two 2nd chambers with lr, remove the 2 sponges in the outside chambers unless you want to get sand spewed into the tank when the water lvl is low, always keep the water topped off, and lastly consider the stand, my tank hangs off in the back and the front about 1/4" in the front and 1 1/2" in the back because under estimated the size of the thing.

. im assuming u mean the 28gal HQI by JBJ
t.

Yes , sorry, it is the 28 gallon. Low to Mid 80's WOW!, not really wanting to be staring down the face of a chiller purchase, I live in GA and spring and fall is mild here and I tend to leave windows open during the day, house might get to 78 degrees, can't imagine what that tank temp would hit.
Thanks for the information.

I think I'll repost with opinions of metal halide vs. florescent for small reef, that 28HQI might be more than we really need.

I have decided not to go with the halides for now. My wife has decided on the JBL 24gal Nano. It has an hood upgrade to halides if we choose to do so in the far future. But for starters and most likely forever she will be happy with the stock setup right out of the box. She loves to watch crabs and shrimps cruise around and pick at stuff. This will be the ideal setup for her.

I have a fan attached to my lighting timer. I went from about 85 to 78ish,

Well, it's a 125 and it (the floor fan) sits at one end of the tank and blows across the whole tank. I have MHs as well.
Once I get it back up and running (just started again today), I'll take some pics. By running, I mean full of water (no critters), and will be working on aquascaping tomorrow (well, cutting up my base and building the aquascape).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom