Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2004, 10:54 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I will agree that I have used Penguins and Emperors for years (though I favor canisters on larger tanks) and never had a problem of any sort. I guess I should take that into consideration - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There are several threads going pertaining to AC filters, this must be national AC week or something!

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 11:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mr Burns
DON'T GET THE AQUACLEAR!

i mean that. i honestly have no idea why people like the ACs. go with the whisper or the marineland (penguin/emperor) filters. the ACs have tons of room for media, but so what? most of the water flows right around it. water will take the path of least resistance (like most people,) and with the ACs, that is everywhere around little filter inserts (which are overpriced anyways.) i've bought two whisper filters and couldn't be happier. you can actually tell when the filter needs to be cleaned/replace because the output water decreases. if you really feel like adding extra media, you can drop a bag behind the main cartridge. as an added bonus, the whisper filters live up to their name.

Old 08-06-2004, 01:52 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Get the Aquaclear. Do some research on the web. The water does follow the path of least resistance - right down the channel uder the media basket and up through the media. Water is actually forced up through the media. In a Whisper or Emperor the media is just sitting vertically in a pool of water. Very inefficient. In an Aquaclear the media literally fills up the entire box volume, making for very efficient filtration. I have four running on my tanks and they work great, no priming problems or noise. The media is very cheap - $2-3 for an extra foam block that never wears out. Don't get a bio-wheel if you want to inject CO2 it will disperse it.

But they all work pretty well. I'd go with the cheapest.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:10 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
hmm.. my penguin/emperor i couldnt be happier. besides the impeller housing (i think) (the thing where the impeller sits) (on the bottom) some sand got in there and slowed the impeller. but thats more a mantainence thingy. the intake tube almost never gets clogged. plus i think there are filter extenstions for penguins. ive heard of them i think.

and for my 5 gallon it has the least mantainence of all my filters. its the 5-15. yeah but the only problems are it has no lid so the fish can jump out. and the no biowheel. which isnt neccisary.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:54 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually, the water flows OVER the media in my AC, not through it.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:20 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

"Actually, the water flows OVER the media in my AC, not through it."

What? More AC bashing from Willian???

Water does not go over or bypass the media in a AC unless you screw something up. Simply put, the impeller shoves water under the media, then the water gets pushed up through it. Any water making it back to the impeller has already been filtered. This is by design! With an AC filter, you can lower the flow rate, and the filter just cycles the water multiple times. So if you have a 200gps AC set to half the flow rate (100 gph), all of the water gets filters TWICE before returning to the tank.

Also, in AC filters the water gets pushes at a pretty quick speed through a lot of media. In other filters you have a thin vertical cartridge in a slow moviv pool of water? What do you think filters better, two inches of sponges, an inch of bio media, and some filter floss in an AC filter OR 1/4 inch thick of media stuck on a plastic grate?

In an AC filter, the media area is huge. Want to add some peat? Go right ahead. How about some extra bio material? That is easy too. How about some crushed coral? No problem there. Want to setup the whole thing just for bio? How about adding more floss for better mechanical? Only with ACs, just slip whatever you want into a media bag and put it right in there. With the Marineland filters, not all of them have the extra space for additional media.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 11:33 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Penguins have ample room for extra material, You just put it in those mesh backs and slide it right in.

Works wonders, I've done it in the past with things sucha s Ammo-Carb to absorb ammonia during a dangerous spike.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
hmm i need your thingy for doing that. i wasnt very successful when i tried doing that lol.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow you guys are VERY opinionated.LOL I am going to put angels in the tank if that has anything to do with the filter brand. I have never had an AC or Whisper, only the Penguin because I thought they were the best(the bio-wheel). You guys all have great points. I have just put in gravel and filled the tank up. I still need to get a hood with florescent light (is anybody getting rid of theirs?)and a filter. I like your point about the media on an Aquaclear being thicker and there being more room for extra media. I dont think I like the design of whisper media.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:04 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

You could avoid the filter wars and just have lots of plants and a small school of white clouds. No filter or heater necessary...

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com