Zipties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jay jay

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would they be ok to have in the tank with the fish?

You mean tie wraps or zip ties? If so, no, I wouldn't risk it. The brand we use at work have a bit of a residue on them. I know they pass our flame tests which lead me to believe they are coated. May not be the case for all brands though.

A safer alternative is fishing line. I've used it to anchor plants to rocks and driftwood.

I've never had a problem. I have two on my aquen intake to close the gaps I broke and no ill effects. I also have teo black ones on my 304 intake to hold it down on the suction cup brace because the vinyl tubing doesn't like to bend and it pops off all the time.

Make sure to rinse well with soap and water I case there is a coating. Also look in the end with the tab to make sure the little catch piece is plastic and not metal.

You mean tie wraps or zip ties? If so, no, I wouldn't risk it. The brand we use at work have a bit of a residue on them. I know they pass our flame tests which lead me to believe they are coated. May not be the case for all brands though. A safer alternative is fishing line. I've used it to anchor plants to rocks and driftwood.

Yeah zip ties and I never though of us using fishing line. That does sound like a really safe thing to use.

Make sure to rinse well with soap and water I case there is a coating. Also look in the end with the tab to make sure the little catch piece is plastic and not metal.

Why would you use soap? I was told to never use soap on anything to go into a fish tank.

zip ties are totally safe i have used them to cover my filter intakes with sponges and polly fiber material for years and no ill affects.

Why would you use soap? I was told to never use soap on anything to go into a fish tank.
Only way to remove some oils or oil based stuff from things is to use soap. Soap is safe as long as you rinse it really well and don't use it on anything that it will be hard to remove from such as cloth or fibres. Also don't let soap sit to long on plastic as some plastics will absorb the soap and release it slowly into your water.

zip ties are totally safe i have used them to cover my filter intakes with sponges and polly fiber material for years and no ill affects.

But mine will be in the tank with the fish.

That's fine. They'll be safe. That's what bob is saying he has done with his over his filter intakes. I have used them to secure driftwood with no problems. Just look for the ones with the plastic catch tab and not metal.

I thought it was ok to use zip ties since it's only plastic. Just never use metal

I'm making a breeder tank and using this. What do you think is better to use. Zip ties or fishing line?

Attachments

• image-2606071934.jpg
    image-2606071934.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 59
Back
Top Bottom