10 Gallon Low Tech Photo Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! You tank is amazing!! I wish mine were like that...but I never know where to put the plants to make it look good and natural. Keep us updated with pictures!

I'm not sure if you can get these plants where you are, but if you can these are two red easy plants that have gone quite well in my low-light tank.

Branching Val :Vallisneria caulescens
http://www.aquagreen.com.au/plant_data/Vallisneria_caulescens.html

Crypt wendtii (red)
http://bayleesfishees.com/catalog/images/XL Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red.JPG

I'll second the Crypt wendtii, I kept one of those for 2+ years in my 29 gal tank that only had about 1.5 wpg. It didn't exactly grow very quickly, but it didn't die off either.

Thank you both. I actually got some fish today. I wanted to start off with some Cory. habrosus, but those are not available now so I will get some when they do become available. So, I got 13 Ember Tetras to start off. (I was going to do Neon or Cardinal Tetras, but these were suggested to me, and I am happy with the suggestion.) The Embers and the school of Corys (and the one albino Longfin Bristlenose) may be all I have in this tank besides the plants.

Again, thanks to you all!

Would love to see a front tank shot.

?

This is not a shot of the back of the tank. That shot would show the wires, tubes and HOB filter. Plus, my SLR won't fit behind the tank... you have me confused.

So, here is the same picture again. Not sure I can capture a great picture of the fish at the slow shutter speeds necessary. But here is the same picture again for you, of the front of my tank.

17923-albums190-picture1248.jpg

Sorry, I realise you posted this one earlier. I meant one that hopefully showed off the new fish you got. I have the same problem,they move too quick to get a good photo.

Hope the fish are going well.

Sorry...

But here is a picture, even if it is not too clear and the fish have not colored up too well after their move.

17923-albums190-picture1260.jpg

It's a better shot that I have ever gotten. It looks great. The orange fish in amongst all those the green plants would stand out well. Nice job!

Well, it was bound to happen I suppose...

My fish got ICH!!! :eek2::bad-words:

Any case is bad, and I remember this scourge from long ago when I had fish.

This time, I had half as many Ember Tetras that I wanted so I would not overload the newly established tank. After they were settled in and apparently happy, I added a half dozen more. Interestingly at that time they stopped schooling and hid in the back of the tank for about a week, only coming out to feed. On Friday I noticed one spot of Ich on one fish and three spots on another. :eek: Research followed... Tetras are sensitive to Malachite Green so I dosed them at somewhat less that ½ strength with no problems. Then...
:arrow:

After reading how sensitive tetras are to this product and not wanting to fight Ich for a long time, I decided to use the heat treatment and have raised my temperature (slowly) to 86ºƒ. (Maybe 86.5ºƒ.) It seems that after just 2 days that the ICH is no longer visible, but undoubtedly is still in the tank. The fish are much more active but apparently OK and eating like little piggies! I would too if I was that hot!
:onfire:

So, my question is, how long do I have to keep the temperature at 86º? My fish seem happy, but that is simply too hot! I want to kill the Ich, but not my fish.

You should leave the heat turned up for 2 weeks after the last visible ich disappears.

You should leave the heat turned up for 2 weeks after the last visible ich disappears.

WOW, that long! I thought I read that the cycle for the Ich was about 4 days at 80º. So, I am surprised. 8O But I do believe!:hugs: Two weeks it is. (y)

Day 4 of 86-7ºƒ and all is well. No visible ich and the fish are all very active and no longer hiding. In fact, they are playing in the current at the front of the tank and are apparently ravenous. Poor things... I feel like I am boiling my fish!

:microwave:

Day 4 of 86-7ºƒ and all is well. No visible ich and the fish are all very active and no longer hiding. In fact, they are playing in the current at the front of the tank and are apparently ravenous. Poor things... I feel like I am boiling my fish!

:microwave:

212F is the boiling point of water, so I think your fish will be fine. d(^.^)b

Disapointment

After 6 days of 87º and thinking my Ember Tetras were safe, I noticed a spot of ich on the chin of one fish today and another spot in the tail of a second fish. I thought this would be over, but now a return. And the fish are again hiding near the back of the tank. Will this scourge end? :mad:

After 6 days of 87º and thinking my Ember Tetras were safe, I noticed a spot of ich on the chin of one fish today and another spot in the tail of a second fish. I thought this would be over, but now a return. And the fish are again hiding near the back of the tank. Will this scourge end? :mad:

OK, I decided to go the chemical route. :uzi: I have dosed at 1 drop per gallon for 2 days now of Quick Cure, Formalin and Malachite Green. (Yes, I know the label says to do less for tetras, but if I kill a few fish, so be it. They could die from ich too, so I rolled the dice.)

Now the question is, does this stuff really work? Will my tank really be free of ich? :-|

Generally it's not a good idea to mix medications. The labeling may state that it's safe to use with certain other medications, but unless specifically stated it should be avoided. One of the keys to aquariums is patience. Remember that nothing good in an aquarium happens fast.

Generally it's not a good idea to mix medications. The labeling may state that it's safe to use with certain other medications, but unless specifically stated it should be avoided. One of the keys to aquariums is patience. Remember that nothing good in an aquarium happens fast.

Quick Cure is a mix of Formalin and Malachite Green. That is what the label states the active ingredients to be.:silly:

I guess I did not phrase my sentence very well. :n00b:

Thanks for the clarification.

In that case, I never had much luck personally using Quick Cure, but then again I've yet to save a fish once it became seriously ill. The only thing I've ever been able to cure was fin rot.

Back
Top Bottom