10g Rio Negro biotope build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alex07

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys and gals,

My neighbor tore down his 10 gallon and decided to give it to me last night. As soon as I got I went to work on it. I derimmed it and cleaned it. It looks in good shape and doesn't have any scratches.

So since I am doing trying to immitate the Rio Negro, I'm going to use pfs, manzanita branches and I'm going to make my own blackwater with peat moss.

For plants I'm going to put the most 3 jungle vals and trim them. I still haven't decided if to put floating plants to create some shade.

For lights I'm going just going with some plain and simple 2 10w cfl to create a dim aquarium.

As for fish, I was looking into cardinals or gold tetras and I don't if I can fit some cories.

So what do you guys think? I am open for suggestions.

alex07 said:
Hey guys and gals,

My neighbor tore down his 10 gallon and decided to give it to me last night. As soon as I got I went to work on it. I derimmed it and cleaned it. It looks in good shape and doesn't have any scratches.

So since I am doing trying to immitate the Rio Negro, I'm going to use pfs, manzanita branches and I'm going to make my own blackwater with peat moss.

For plants I'm going to put the most 3 jungle vals and trim them. I still haven't decided if to put floating plants to create some shade.

For lights I'm going just going with some plain and simple 2 10w cfl to create a dim aquarium.

As for fish, I was looking into cardinals or gold tetras and I don't if I can fit some cories.

Sounds like a plan! I think you should get dim lighting so that way it looks dark and the tetras look more glowing.

Can't wait to see it! I think you'd have room for either tetra and a school of small cories.

You can probably fit dwarf cory's with that setup. But I'm no expert.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Sounds like a plan! I think you should get dim lighting so that way it looks dark and the tetras look more glowing.

Can't wait to see it! I think you'd have room for either tetra and a school of small cories.

That is why I only want to get 2 10w. It should be enough to keep the vals alive. There's a really cool video i saw in youtube of rio negro and I saw a school of cardinals and a huge school of cories passing by.

alex07 said:
That is why I only want to get 2 10w. It should be enough to keep the vals alive. There's a really cool video i saw in youtube of rio negro and I saw a school of cardinals and a huge school of cories passing by.

Oh whoops missed that part!

Sounds very cool! That would look awesome in the aquarium, it would be like you took part of the river home with you! :)

Just got the manzanita wood, have it soaking in boiling water

Just got the manzanita wood, have them soaking in boiling water. Getting ready to rinse the sand and make the blackwater.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110813_161032.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110813_161032.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 114
cardinals like hot water - neons do better with cooler - depending upon the plants the temp requirements may not be amenable for both the cards and the plants.

In any case - with the small tetras like that (my favorite are black neons) you can throw 10 -20 in there with good filtration. They really don't put out that much waste as they don't have the mass.

If it were me I might put about 12 wee tetras and maybe a pair of rams, curviceps, or apistos in it. 15 gallons would be even better for the cichlids. Keep in mind the various ciclhlids have temp requirements as do the tetras and plants.

In any event it sounds like a fun build.

cardinals like hot water - neons do better with cooler - depending upon the plants the temp requirements may not be amenable for both the cards and the plants.

In any case - with the small tetras like that (my favorite are black neons) you can throw 10 -20 in there with good filtration. They really don't put out that much waste as they don't have the mass.

If it were me I might put about 12 wee tetras and maybe a pair of rams, curviceps, or apistos in it. 15 gallons would be even better for the cichlids. Keep in mind the various ciclhlids have temp requirements as do the tetras and plants.

a ten is not acceptable housing fro rams or apistos. 20 long or 29 at least

IvanMike said:

Sorry haven't had any new updates. I've been pretty busy these past couple of days.

Cardinals water conditions are 73-81 degrees.

10g is too small for those fish

So today I had the day off and decided to work on the tanks. Got the ammonia to 4 ppm after dosing several times, was afraid of over dosing. So let the waiting game begin. I don't know why but there's some semi clear gooey thing on the manzanita branches.

Hey guys and gals,

sounds good! i was actually looking into the same thing, how are you gonna make the blackwater exactly? and how are you going to do the lighting since you derimmed it?

I can't wait to see this when all is said and done. It will look awesome. Have been trying to do the same thing with my 10, but don't have access to some good S.A. plants.

ilostnemo, most people will boil the peat moss to release then tannins, then filter out all of the particles to leave you with black water extract. You can get the same effect with oak leaves, which is convenient since they are so widespread. No need to purchase peat when you have an oak in your fron yard.

ilostnemo said:
sounds good! i was actually looking into the same thing, how are you gonna make the blackwater exactly? and how are you going to do the lighting since you derimmed it?

I got a big pot and put 3 cups of sphagnum peat moss and add 1.5 gallons of water. As soon as it boils let it simmer for about 30 min. That's when I bring it down to like 3 or 4 and let it sit.

adadkins1 said:
I can't wait to see this when all is said and done. It will look awesome. Have been trying to do the same thing with my 10, but don't have access to some good S.A. plants.

ilostnemo, most people will boil the peat moss to release then tannins, then filter out all of the particles to leave you with black water extract. You can get the same effect with oak leaves, which is convenient since they are so widespread. No need to purchase peat when you have an oak in your fron yard.

Well I'm using java moss to cover parts of the branches and 2 corkscrew vals which I trimmed short.

thats what i was thinking of doing i was just making sure. lol

It is just a bit difficult to get all of the junk out. If you don't, it will rot.

Well I'm using java moss to cover parts of the branches and 2 corkscrew vals which I trimmed short.

Oh, java moss isn't from S.A, but I really like the way it looks.

ilostnemo said:
thats what i was thinking of doing i was just making sure. lol

Indian almond leaf does the samething. Well the peat moss only cost $5 at home depot. I've filled 10+ gallons and i haven't used 1/4th.

I got a big pot and put 3 cups of sphagnum peat moss and add 1.5 gallons of water. As soon as it boils let it simmer for about 30 min. That's when I bring it down to like 3 or 4 and let it sit.
then you mix it with the rest of the water right? blackwaters the one thing i dont know much about

Yep, after you have cooked the tannins out and filtered the junk out, you just add the blackwater until the aquarium water is tea colored. You can also forget the cooking and just put the peat directly into the aquarium, but then it decays and doesn't release the tannins as fast.

Back
Top Bottom