125 rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rlavassor86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just bought some rock from the landscaping place by me. Spent a day cleaning with boiling water and a scrub brush. I'm not really satisfied with it yet though, I'd really like to scape higher instead of all sprawled out, but was having trouble seeing what I was doing once the sand got stirred up.

Attachments

• image-2635312330.jpg
    image-2635312330.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 235
Right where that red round stone is on the left, I'd put a big thick piece of driftwood going up, with rocks leaning on it for caves would look great. It would also add height to the scaping in a nice big tank like that.

I'd also add a lot more tall fake, but realistic green plants, secured down of course. Jungle and spiral val and hygrophila in the 18-24 inch sizes would really fill in the upper levels and give balance.

That's just my opinion though.

Yea I've got a few big pieces if mopani I could use to build it up. I was also thinking about getting some lace rock to use for a base to build on.

bettaowner said:
I need rocks like that for my planted tank.

Check out your local landscaping companies I got all of the rock in my tank for 15 bucks even. Just make sure you clean it with boiling water and a clean scrub brush. Never submerge rocks in boiling water as they could explode, although unlikely it's not a chance I'd take. You can even use a 1:10 bleach water ratio just make sure you rinse well afterwards. Also make sure you do the vinegar test on the rocks before use as some could leach toxic minerals and metals. If you stick to rocks like New York bluestone, slate. Limestone based rocks, sandstone and even lava but also lava rock can be sharp so caution should be used as it can injure fish. I've got a few pieces in my tank and I've got between 25-30 medium to large African cichlids and I've never had an issue.

Think I might actually be satisfied with how the rocks look now. At least for longer than a week this time.

Attachments

• image-2037801067.jpg
    image-2037801067.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 126
  • image-4206386182.jpg
    image-4206386182.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 113
abrinn23 said:
Definitely my favorite part, good job!

Yea mine too. My wife thinks I'm nuts because I actually look forward to wc day twice a week and rescaping. I rather enjoy it. It's my " sanctuary" from everything else going on. It's relaxing for me. Can't exactly get mad at fish lol. They are my therapy.

abrinn23 said:
Seems like we think the same then! Haha

Yea I think a lot of the members here feel the same way. And it seems the more I learn about my fish and there needs and talking with members here, the more and more I enjoy it. I see someone else's tank and then get the urge to change mine. My fave Malawi tank I've seen so far is Andrew McFadden 180. Think he had tank of the month. Great looking set up, I'm kinda jealous. Lol

I couldn't agree more with that. I think his is the standard for most people. Some of the ones that really impress me are the nano tanks in the saltwater section. Also Rivercats 220g planted is just amazing

abrinn23 said:
I couldn't agree more with that. I think his is the standard for most people. Some of the ones that really impress me are the nano tanks in the saltwater section. Also Rivercats 220g planted is just amazing

Yea his planted is stunning. that's another I was going to mention and am very jealous of. Here's my 72 planted. Just planted this past weekend. I like how looks so far but it's no where near where I envision it.

Attachments

• image-813277020.jpg
    image-813277020.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 79
That looks great! I love those pieces of DW. Once those plants grow in it'll look even better

abrinn23 said:
That looks great! I love those pieces of DW. Once those plants grow in it'll look even better

Thanks! Yea I can't wait. The wood is mopani. Got it for real cheap at my LFS, and I love the look of the wood. And it's so dense it sinks immediately donuts real easy to work with.

Back
Top Bottom