160 Gallon Mbuna slow build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbooker

Aquarium Advice Regular
Picked up a used 160 gallon a few nights ago and I've decided to set it up as a Mbuna tank. This is going to be a slow build as I have a number of projects to complete to set up this thing.

Equipment List: Current
50 Gallon Sump with Eheim pump 900GPH
Glass top(needs small repair)
36" Marineland LED light

Equipment to buy:
Substrate (approx 150lbs sand)
Rocks

Things to complete
Refinish Stand
Clean aquarium and sump
Fix glass top
Fix overflow from tank and set up sump
Buy substrate, rocks
Cycle and stock

Picture of aquarium just before I picked it up

nzfzua.png

The chichlids in the picture weren't included with it unfortunately, but that does give me time so set everything up how I want it before stocking.

First big project is to refinish the stand.

11tanm8.jpg

I've tore off all the old trim. It was trimmed in 3/4" mdf but this made it very heavy. I'm thinking I'll finish it with either oak or maple and go a bit thinner on the sides and front. There was also a double layer of mdf on the front, I'm guessing somebody couldn't figure out a way to keep the door flush without it. The trim also extended up past the stand to allow for a layer of durofoam insulation. I would prefer not to do this and just set the tank of the stand but I'm not sure about stressing the tank too much. What do you all think?

Once this is completed I'll move on to the next projects.

I'll also take suggestions on substrate types and rock decorations if anyone has them?

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Nice sized tank. Is the stand level? In picture it looks like back right corner drops a little bit

The stand is level, or very close to it. I hadn't noticed how much the picture makes it look like it drops off on the back corner. I think that's from using the wide angle mode on my cell phone camera.

have you considered wrapping it with flooring you can always find something on sale
between the flooring and moldings cost me like $25 and it gives it a nice clean look

img_2812704_0_96ebccffda04c43776837d94a2204c62.jpg

have you considered wrapping it with flooring you can always find something on sale
between the flooring and moldings cost me like $25 and it gives it a nice clean look

img_2812704_0_96ebccffda04c43776837d94a2204c62.jpg
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... (camera man, builder).

I did consider using that but I want doors and couldn't figure a nice way to match them. I'm leaning towards staining/aging some pine 1x4s and using that. Kind of a barn board look.

Just wanted to give a quick update. I've got the tank and sump all cleaned. Polished up nice with just some vinegar. Substrate is on order. I went with an aragonite sand to keep the water at a nice ph level. I have a nice pile of found rocks for hardscaping, but I'm not sure if I'll use them or if I will buy some sandstone or something similar.

Fixing the overflow from the tank has been a bit of a hassle. The pvc pipe was cemented together and then broken off, so I had to use a heat gun to soften the inner pvc piece and then I could pull it out. I'm debating plumbing in a threaded joint near the top so I can easily remove it if I ever move the tank, but I'm not sure how well I can get this to seal.

I've been working on painting and sanding the boards that I will use to cover the outside, and they are prepped and ready for stain now.

30crwgg.jpg

I'm going to stain them with a weathered grey stain, and add a satin finish to seal everything.

IMG950086.jpg if i could make 1 suggestion. Id say paint the back. It really makes the fish pop and looks so much better then a background. Also its incredibly cheap

View attachment 304698 if i could make 1 suggestion. Id say paint the back. It really makes the fish pop and looks so much better then a background. Also its incredibly cheap
I really wanted to paint a nice black background but the tank already has a white one stuck very well to the back. I tried removing a small area in a hidden corner, but I wasn't going to be able to remove it completely.

hweiae.jpg

The white looks decent, and I think it will work when it is all set up.

Your aquarium looks great by the way!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! And yeah im sure the white will look nice when its all said and done. Especially if u add plants they will really pop against the white

Update time!

I've been working on finding a nice way to finish the trim boards for the stand, still not totally happy with how they are looking.

I decided to set up the tank and finish the stand in place so I can test out everything and get it cycling. I got everything in place and put back the overflow from the tank to the sump.

ivhn2b.jpg

Everything I plumbed in seems to be holding water well, unfortunately there was a small leak coming from somewhere right next to the aquarium in the old plumbing. Looks like I'll have to find a way to disassemble it without wrecking the glass and replace those parts as well.

rho5z8.jpg

I'm glad I decided to test now but looks like I have more work ahead of me.

Looks like it's been quite a while since I've updated this thread.

Setting up the tank turned into quite a bit larger project than I had initially planned, usually how these things seem to go.

I was able to fix the small leak in the bulkhead fairly easily, but when I got it set up the tank ran far too loud for my liking. I ended up trying a few different methods to quiet it down, but eventually I drilled a second overflow, and control the lower one with a gate valve to keep basically a full siphon where the pipe stays essentially full of water. The second overflow is mainly a backup and just takes the small amount of water that doesn't flow through the first. This basically silences the overflow, and I just have a small humming sound coming from my return pump.

I didn't like the look I got when I finished the boards, so I ended up priming and them painting them a kind of teal color.

I also stripped off the white backing, took a lot of hours but I think it was worth it. I painted the back black, and added masking tape behind to protect it a bit so I don't accidentally scratch off any paint.

I didn't end up taking a lot of pictures as I went along, but have one of the finished aquarium.

iddez7.jpg

For future reference, a simple vinegar stain made by throwing rusty nails into a gallon of white vinegar produces a nice graying effect, which is much more barnwood looking than many of the stains you can buy. May take several coats.

For future reference, a simple vinegar stain made by throwing rusty nails into a gallon of white vinegar produces a nice graying effect, which is much more barnwood looking than many of the stains you can buy. May take several coats.

Thanks for the tip, I have a few other projects to build that I might try it on! I really didn't like the grey stain I used.

Back
Top Bottom