20 gal ram pair tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vespasianus

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is my 20 gal project. My first try at cichlids. It's a work in progress. Right now the stock is a bolivian ram pair and 5 banded kuhli loaches. May get some zebra danios later because I can't have a tank without zebras which are my fav freshwater wish.

image-4059017751.jpg

image-3764074424.jpg

image-3946401568.jpg

image-4208499094.jpg

image-2851929400.jpg

image-3994929784.jpg

These kuhli's crack me up. One of the most interesting, funniest fish I've kept. And even though my rams are still a bit pale and scared I can say in a few days they have become one of the most endearing fish I've owned. My pair is always together really awesome. And they are do gentle, they almost choreograph. I'll keep updating as I plant the tank much more, put a background, etc.

Real plants would make the Rams very happy. Very sensitive fish...but really cool!

Those are real plants I think. It looks like anacharis and lilaeopsis. Bolivian rams are generally hardier than German blue rams

They are real. I got elodea densa, anacharis and the one in the cave thing is java moss, I'm not sure yet. I'll take better pics when I put the background on the tank lol.

They are real. The background one is elodea densa, I got some surviving stems from another tank of anacharis on the right and the one on the rock formation I think its java moss, not quite sure yet. I'll take better pics once I get the background up.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post my phone freaked out on me.

Update: added background today (one of the hardest tasks in this hobby I swear) I hate doing it. Also added some new tankmates for my rams, 6 zebra danios.

image-2933406466.jpg

Lol the rams want to follow and chase the zebras but they are way too fast. I love those little guys.

image-2182473182.jpg

image-3287805980.jpg

image-2166948542.jpg

image-2008663751.jpg

image-2306044569.jpg

image-1801620424.jpg

It kinda bothers me the rams are still so pale.

Attachments

• image-388722666.jpg
    image-388722666.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 197
Don't wanna hijack your thread, but how do you sex rams? I was planning on getting another for my 20H, but I don't know if mine is a male or female.

For the sexing I followed what was said in this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/sexing-bolivian-rams-224886.html#post2118511. I did a search and the web confirms what is said there. The shape of the belly and the shape of the head is the "most accurate" way of telling. Male's belly is supposedly flatter while female's is rounder. However not even the experts know for sure as it is a very difficult fish to sex. I'm guessing I have a female and a male because of the bellies, the way they always stick by each other's side and the fact that I think if they were both male they would have ripped each other to shreds by now. Even still I'm not even 50% sure of it.

This pic of my rams may give you an idea of what I'm talking about, my uneducated guess is the female is the one on the left:

1izh20.jpg

"New" arrangement. I say "new" because the java fern at the right is now planted with a rock. Will post a newer one later.

image-33948602.jpg

image-1375121369.jpg

image-1397043440.jpg

image-709595698.jpg

Their color, they look faded. I don't know anything about that, but I don't think that's right.

O yeah. Well as of today it has improved tons. The colors are showing real good wit the lights off so I'll try and get s picture. They got some ways to go but there has been improvement. It is the end of week 2 so I'm still thinking its new tank jitters. The loaches are starting to come out a little bit at a time.

image-150608717.jpg

O yeah. Well as of today it has improved tons. The colors are showing real good wit the lights off so I'll try and get s picture. They got some ways to go but there has been improvement. It is the end of week 2 so I'm still thinking its new tank jitters. The loaches are starting to come out a little bit at a time.

Yea that looks great now. Rams look so cool.

Yea that looks great now. Rams look so cool.

Yeah they are awesome. They seem to find the kuhlis very entertaining and curious because they see them dangling from the plants like tarzan and playing dead and they hover looking at then mesmerized for a long time. XD

Yeah they are awesome. They seem to find the kuhlis very entertaining and curious because they see them dangling from the plants like tarzan and playing dead and they hover looking at then mesmerized for a long time. XD

Cool. How big of a tank do kuhlis need?

Back
Top Bottom