20 gallon suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaTony

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm pretty stuck with stocking. I got guppies in a 10 gallon and 1 Betta in a 20 gallon. Don't know any tank mates for it. Don't wanna put guppies in 20 gallon too.

You'd be better off putting the betta in the 10 gallon, moving the guppies to the 20 gallon, and then you can easily stock another species or two with the guppies.

LyndaB said:
You'd be better off putting the betta in the 10 gallon, moving the guppies to the 20 gallon, and then you can easily stock another species or two with the guppies.

Well my Betta isn't aggressive. He lived with my guppies for a long time without any problems. They're also fancy guppies.

I'm just saying that if you reversed your stock right now, you'd be able to expand on the variety of species you could keep with the guppies. But you couldn't necessarily do that with the betta. I thought your mission here was to get more fish? I may have misunderstood.

You could try harlequin rasboras or neons. If it doesn't work out with the betta and other fish, just switch the betta and guppies and you will be fine. There are honestly quite a few peaceful tetras that would be fine in a 20g with a community-safe betta. You can also do cories and otos or pitbull plecos.

LyndaB said:
I'm just saying that if you reversed your stock right now, you'd be able to expand on the variety of species you could keep with the guppies. But you couldn't necessarily do that with the betta. I thought your mission here was to get more fish? I may have misunderstood.

I know what you mean tho, thanks but I want my Betta to be in the 20gal.

I know what you mean tho, thanks but I want my Betta to be in the 20gal.
you know that bettas do better in a smaller tank right one with less flow.. and im sure your 20 has more flow then the 10.. how many guppise do you have in the 10?

gilley said:
you know that bettas do better in a smaller tank right one with less flow.. and im sure your 20 has more flow then the 10.. how many guppise do you have in the 10?

I wouldn't say smaller tank but I agree with less flow. I reduce my flow by putting a bag which is attach to the wall of the tank so the water only flows down the side. And I got 4 gup.

I have a Betta in with my Mickey mouse platies in a 20g tank. I just put the filter all the way to one side. He hangs out on the low flow side of the tank. I'm pretty sure he thinks he's a platy. He hangs out with the fry and swims with them. I had to rehome a small platy that wouldn't leave him alone. Basically I guess I'm saying it all depends on the personality of your Betta. I didn't know what to expect when I put him in there. I also put some of my cull shrimp in there and he has no idea what to make of them.

Fdsh5 said:
I have a Betta in with my Mickey mouse platies in a 20g tank. I just put the filter all the way to one side. He hangs out on the low flow side of the tank. I'm pretty sure he thinks he's a platy. He hangs out with the fry and swims with them. I had to rehome a small platy that wouldn't leave him alone. Basically I guess I'm saying it all depends on the personality of your Betta. I didn't know what to expect when I put him in there. I also put some of my cull shrimp in there and he has no idea what to make of them.

Mine is very peaceful. Lived with guppies an guppy fries before. Never hurt any of them. But idk my main question is NOT that I should change fishes in my tank BUT what fish can live in my tank with my Betta. It is a FAKE planted tank but caves. Ik fake plants are bad but it doesn't hurt my Betta's tail and don't wanna do real plant even tho I think it looks better

Back
Top Bottom