Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Members Freshwater Tanks Showcase
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2017, 05:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

20g L progression Journal

Thought I'd make a thread here and keep it updated. I always love showing off my projects :3

Nothing too much right now, but I picked up these cool rocks from my LFS just because they were super awesome looking. Little did I know... they had a hidden surprise. They were dusty when I got em, so I was cleaning them off tonight and noticed the little surprises. You can really only see it when they're wet, otherwise it glistens like graphite and is hard to make out. But am I crazy or do these look like liiiittle fossilized plants?

Old 08-09-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Very nice looking. Probably some form of (eg manganese) dendrites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrite_(crystal)

Old 08-09-2017, 12:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Gorgeous! Are they red jasper rocks? I have some and I love the colors.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm not sure, the fish store labeled the box as Sierra Rock. P:
Old 08-09-2017, 11:30 PM   #5
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Those have gorgeous colors.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

They do! Super amazing! When i saw them I was like "YUP! That's what I'm designing this tank around. Those there rocks!" hehe
Old 08-20-2017, 05:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Alriiiiight, we got operation: Water test in play now. I'm off the next 2 days (I figure a tank can fail easily within the first 24/48 hrs if it's a manufacture error), so it'll be a perfect time to test the tank, even though I'm fairly confident in Aqueon that they can make a darn tank correctly, paranoia requires me to be prepared.

Filled almost to the brim, siphon and buckets ready, I am prepared for the worst should it come. I doubt it thought.

I'll be putting in my plant order today and either today or tomorrow, wash the gravel. All my tank things will arrive Tuesday (with the exception of food but that's fine LOL) so by the time the plants arrive, it'll be perfect timing. Everything will start rollin'.

Decided to go with a simple black background to really showcase the fish/plants/rocks.

PS. Yeah I know my ugly fingerprints are all over the side of the tank LOL I gotta clean that

PPS. Even though I'll list it at a later date, I'll give ya guys my plant list:
Anubias Barteri coffeefolia
ROTALA WALLICHII
Ancharis narrow Leaf
Hygrophila corymbosa Siamensis
PROSERPINACA PALUSTRIS
Brazilian Pennywort (I love me some pennywort, idk why but it's my favorite plant!)
Old 08-20-2017, 10:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Nice progress.
Do you have an equipment list? Lighting? Filter? Fertilizer plan?
The Rotala wallichii is my white whale; had a go at it a couple years back and I could not get to grow properly.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:29 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah, I was plannin to list it all once I set it up, but I can share it with ya :P

I'll be using an Aquaclear 50 filter
A 100w Cobalt Neo-therm hooked to a controller
The Finnex Planted+ 24/7 LED light fixture
2 separate thermometers on each end of the tank because i'm paranoid

As for fertilizer, nothing really. I'll be dosing API's Leaf Zone and CO2 Booster the following day after a water change (I've read that this is the proper way to dose these 2 items, since like Prime, they lower they oxygen levels in an aquarium. On their own it's nothing to worry over, but all 3 doses at the same time? I don't know how dangerous it can be, but from my readings that's the recommended way to dose)

Rotala wallichii is actually a plant I've never seen and I was looking for some 'other colored' plants besides green to put in my tank on the site I ordered from and that was one that caught my eye and looked really pretty. We'll see how it goes. I never hold my breath for any aquarium plant LOL but with the Finnex LED light, I'd like to hope it's capable of growing a variety of plants
Old 08-21-2017, 03:28 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

On another note........... I just LOVE substrate... LOL

It would easily be much clearer than this if I had access to a hose, but this 'house' has no hose sooo I got to crouch over a bucket of water and wash my gravel the fun way. Doesn't get as clean but it's better than if I had just dumped the bag right into the tank haha. I'll probably do a large water change tomorrow or something after I finish off the last few handfuls of gravel in the 50lb bag that way I can put my rocks and driftwood in place and it'll be ready for plants.

-waves my pruney hands all over-

Tags
journal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com