27 Litre Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeDaniels

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all, I have recently purchased a very small 27 Litre tank and am soon receiving a larger tank, within this tank at the moment is a filter/pump with spray bar( for the oxygen), a 25w heater, an external thermometer, some fern(more added soon), natural coloured gravel and a nice back piece. At current I have 0 fish in this tank reason being I am testing to prepare the perfect conditions( which I now believe I have fount). To this tank I am going to add a betta( siemese fighting fish), a bristlenose pleco and maybe some neon tetra( not recommended I know but I like them) and/ or maybe some new bred guppy a friend has. The reason I post this is because I would really appreciate anyone's input on whether they agree or have improvements for my tank?? And yes I know it's small but my large one isn't ready just yet.
Thanks
JoeDaniels

Personally, I do not believe a bristlenose pleco is suitable for that size of tank. You could do the betta, and in my opinion, 5-6 neons. That's pushing it though, and I would not add anything else, especially not a guppy (that the betta would likely harass).

Thanks for the help :) I just thought as I'm getting the guppy for free it would be good for testing the tank out to see that it is ok etc etc, is there really no way that any sort of pleco could live in a tank of this size and in maybe a month or two be moved to my larger tank I am receiving ? The only reason i say this is because algae eaters are good for any tank and I can't stand oto's haha

Well the best way to make sure your tank is ready for fish is to do a fishless cycle. =] Have you heard of that before? I think that a baby bristlenose or clown could live in this tank for a month of two, yes. =] Then you'd need to move it before it reaches adult size. If you want to do that, though, I'd buy it no larger thatn 1-2 inches just to make sure it isn't stunted.

If you have good enough filtration you could get away with some neon tetras and those guppies. Or the tetras and a betta. But, as stated, most likely bettas can't go with guppies. They nip at em and might fight them.

What kind of filtration do you have?

Lokkzer said:
If you have good enough filtration you could get away with some neon tetras and those guppies. Or the tetras and a betta. But, as stated, most likely bettas can't go with guppies. They nip at em and might fight them.

What kind of filtration do you have?

It's just a regular filter with a spray bar, nothing special as it came with the tank but from what I can see at the moment it's doing the job. One of the problems I have now encountered is the funding obviously as a newbie I thought sweet got £100 I'll go buy an set up an aquarium, until £120 down the line I now realise I still don't even have a testing kit and am getting some substrate and water from a clean mature tank so how the *#!@ am I gonna test it haha, is there a way of to cycle my tank without spending any money ? So far my tank is looking good, temp is perfect for some of the fish I want and it is clean and been running for over a week. Any ideas on a quick, cheap cycle method ?? Thanks

That's EXACTLY the problem I ran into; it literally made me broke before I realized what I was getting into. The best way to cycle is just get some pure ammonia solution (no surfucants) and dose with that; it'll be cheap and it'll take a few weeks (not quick), but I can tell you that it's the best thing for you and for your fish. Go under articles and check out eco's fishless cycling article.

You won't need to buy any of the extra stuff, it'll just help. You can do it with only ammonia and patience.

Hello all, I have recently purchased a very small 27 Litre tank and am soon receiving a larger tank, within this tank at the moment is a filter/pump with spray bar( for the oxygen), a 25w heater, an external thermometer, some fern(more added soon), natural coloured gravel and a nice back piece. At current I have 0 fish in this tank reason being I am testing to prepare the perfect conditions( which I now believe I have fount). To this tank I am going to add a betta( siemese fighting fish), a bristlenose pleco and maybe some neon tetra( not recommended I know but I like them) and/ or maybe some new bred guppy a friend has. The reason I post this is because I would really appreciate anyone's input on whether they agree or have improvements for my tank?? And yes I know it's small but my large one isn't ready just yet.
Thanks
JoeDaniels

You don't need ammo to cycle a tank, it's just a convenient option (if you can find the right kind), you can use anything that will rot as it'll produce ammo. Raw shrimp is a good choice, or fish food, just put it in a stocking or fine mesh bag and let it do it's thing (I used peas to help one cycle along lol). In a small tank like that your cycle should go pretty fast, a week to 10 days is my guesstimate. I cycled my 7.9g in less than 36hrs, but I had seed material which makes a world of difference (hint ;) ). A liquid test kit is a must IMO/E, but on the upside it'll last you a long time and give an accurate view of what your tank water is like.

Here's a link to a fast, fishless cycle.

Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

So I got the Api master kit and some pure ammo but at the moment my readings are 4ppm am gonna go to one of my LFS now and see if I can grab something off them :) also need a new lamp light anyway (don't like the colour) haha :)

Cool, best of luck! 4 ppm is great place to start--now you wait!

Back
Top Bottom