29 + 10 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Torn Dorsal Fin??

Ugh, ignore that title. My iPad is so glitchy.
I'm glad you found a tank! I hope it works out for you, can't wait to see it set up. :)

Ugh, ignore that title. My iPad is so glitchy.
I'm glad you found a tank! I hope it works out for you, can't wait to see it set up. :)
Not sure what you mean by title... I'm on the app. I haven't decided on a tank. Need to talk with the spouse. I created a Google alert to let me know if anyone creates a craigslist listing for a biorb, because they look really neat but are out of my price range new.

They are super neat; I really like the shape. I'd love to have one with red cherry shrimp and tons of plants on my desk... but I'd be too busy watching them to actually be productive LOL

The fish nerd place guy gets his stock really young. The first time I was there, it made me uncomfortable. Some of the fish still look like fry!

But it's nice knowing the fish is young when you bring it home. I like knowing that I can raise them to be healthy.

Alright. Ugh. I'm starting to think Nudger is male.

She was attacking the adult guppies, so we put her in the isolation box. I had been removing fry since nobody was eating them, so she was alone in the isolation box with a few fry and of course she totally ignored them.

I went a away for a bit, and when I came back home, my daughter told me that Nudger was attacking Friendy Friend again. The fish had escaped the lidded isolation box.

I moved her to the quarantine but then immediately realized that she was now in a smaller tank with no decor with six $8 fish. Over the course of about an hour, we acclimated and moved them and the new kuhli loaches.

On the one hand, I'm happy to have the new fish in the main tank so I can look at them. On the other, I really was trying to do the right thing and quarantine.

We're going to be gone all day tomorrow until Monday morning, so we can just leave the lights and CO2 off. Hopefully that will minimize stress.

While we were acclimating, the three of us talked about what to do with her, and my husband has decided to look for a light for the 10 gallon.

Edit: my mom says I'm not a mean mom if I say we should take Nudger back. But, I mean, tomorrow is the child's 24 hour EEG, so, not the best timing.

Last edited:
Walked by the tank and every single mystery snail was halfway out of the shell puckered up. The rabbits didn't look too happy, either. I think one of the nerites is oozing. I did a huge (80%) water change. The rabbits are moving. Some of the mystery snails are on the move again. I put all non responsive snails up front where I can see them and put a few pieces of zucchini right by them. I don't know what happened!
They never stop moving. They do this shimmy that reminds me of a happy puppy.
They also look like they are flying. They are so pretty!
What a cutie!
Thank you.

And another thing-
My sister's friend was thinking about getting a new betta. She had one previously for a few years and hadn't replaced it after it passed. We asked if she would be interested in having Nudger, and she said that she would. So yea! Nudger will have a good home, I get to keep the QT tank as QT, and my husband is happy we're not buying a new tank.

Most of the snails are mobile. The oozing nerite is now upside down.

I also noticed really severe shell erosion. The new snails' shells are losing their shine. I feed high calcium and calcium added foods. I add hardness booster. I have coral in the filter and in the tank itself. Since adding the coral, the pH has been around 7.4 even adding CO2.

I don't know what happened, and I'm really sad. These snails mean a lot to me!

I am wondering if switching to Safe from Prime while using root tabs is an issue. We have so much chloramine in our water that I always double dose Prime.

I'll get Prime today. See if that helps anything.

Are the shells eroding or is it possible they are getting coated with the hardness boosters?

When my ph was too low I would see pits in the shells. Never an overall dull.

Back
Top Bottom