29 + 10 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ouch! I didn’t even know they did that.

Congrats on the shrimp - tempted to get some if any are up for auction next week.
It's pretty awful. The ramshorns get inside their shells, and then the mystery snails get lethargic and don't respond to most stimulus. Air baths are the most effective treatment I've found. The ramshorns crawl out of the mystery snail shells.

So these baby shrimp-- there's a bunch of them-- are mostly clear, but some are super bright red. These things are fascinating.

We are now entirely overrun with shrimp. Bright red, black, clear, white, orange... Boatloads. They are eating the mystery snails, but I don't think they are killing them. I think the ramshorns are killing them and the shrimp are cleaning up. We actually have fewer ramshorns now, somehow. I'm not complaining. We've had a lot going on and I haven't been on top of things as I would like to be, so I have some catching up to do. We have this whole ecosystem going on... It's crazy.

We have ONE rainbow fry. It's very cute.

The shrimp are still exploding. I took some of the mystery snails to the fish nerd place and immediately felt guilty because their water isn't hard enough for snails to really be happy.

I was looking through pictures and realized this tank has been in its current setup for over a year! That's pretty great!

Congrats! Much colour?
One is still all eyeball, which is neat because their eyes are super bright blue. The other is a tiny version of an adult now. Yesterday it started swimming deeper in the open water, away from plants and stuff. It's really neat!

We also really have just a crazy number of shrimp. I didn't expect them to survive the kuhlis, much less multiply like crazy.

(I wrote this post several days ago. I thought I posted it.)

Look at this gravid lady.

Apparently this tank is good for breeding. Snails and shrimp aren't hard to breed, but furcata are close to impossible and, if I remember correctly, kuhlis have only been bred accidentally. Not that being gravid is the same as having fry, but it's still neat.

I was removing the green algae from the floating plants, saying, "everyone from the kingdom animalia out!" And a lot of tiny critters left in a huff.

I also learned that name brand Tums dye the water. That's not my favorite. IMG_20180626_114203167-01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom